• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Traynor won't turn on!

famouspogs

So after awhile of playing my Traynor YGM-4 in the garage and bringing it in it won't turn on anymore. I tried hitting the circuit breaker switch to see what would happen and when i turned it on the pilot light was on about 2 seconds then you could hear something click inside of it. Anyone have any idea what could have happened? edit: I just tried hitting the circuit breaker and starting it on standby and it started fine. I then put it on operate and got some static and it shut off and clicked.

Last edited:

famouspogs

It could just be a bad set of EL84's.
Hopefully. They are both lighting up though. I don't think this amp has ever had a cap job done on it so maybe one of them has gone. I also noticed a type of "burning plastic" smell when opening the amp up. I think something internal died.

dazco

He may be right. Pull the power tubes and turn it on. If the pilot stays on and no click sounds, you have a shorted tube.

famouspogs

I put in an EL84 from my blues junior and that didn't fix anything. The burning plastic smell apears to be coming from the first power tube slot. I think something near there has gone.

Critter

It shouldn't cause a problem to turn it on without the tubes in. It just won't send current to the output transformer..

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Good thing it's only the amp (I was afraid Traynor was your SO). ;)

Seriously, if it were me, I would NOT turn it on again, I'd get it to a qualified tech pronto. Now it's probably only a tube or cap. Don't turn it into a melted tranny.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I also noticed a type of "burning plastic" smell when opening the amp up. I think something internal died.
Tubes won't get smelly but the classic stink of fried electronics is never a good sign. Turning on without being prepared to troubleshoot it at this point is a waste.

famouspogs

Tubes won't get smelly but the classic stink of fried electronics is never a good sign. Turning on without being prepared to troubleshoot it at this point is a waste.
Yeah I'm not going to turn it on anymore. It seems to be something near the first power tube slot. I'm just hoping this won't be an expensive fix.