Traynor YBA-1A Internal Fan

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by davegardner0, Feb 15, 2015.

1. davegardner0

davegardner0 Member

I have a vintage 1968 Traynor YBA-1A Bassmaster Mk II head that's a wonderful amp, especially after I recently re-capped and retubed it. One thing is sort of driving me nuts, though. The amp has an internal fan, which I've read is to keep the power tubes alive since this amp has a crazy high plate voltage to allow the 2xEL34s to produce 90 watts. That's great, but the fan is sort of loud when playing at a low volume (studio or practice, usually with bass).

It's easy enough to disconnect the leads to the fan by unclipping the little connector, and the amp seems to work fine without the fan on. Is this dangerous? I'm wondering if the fan is necessary when the amp is turned on at all, or just when the amp is being played loud and those tubes are actually putting out more than the normal 50 or so watts for 2xEL34s? I definitely don't want to hurt my amp!

I know I could probably find a replacement fan, but I thought I'd see if the simple solution works first.

2. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

If I was you, I wouldn't take the chance of running that amp with the cooling fan disconnected. It'll probably shorten the lifespan of your power tubes.....

3. Franktone

Franktone Member

Never run the Traynor Bassmaster Mark II without the fan running. This amp has huge transformers similar to the Custom Special and produces a lot of heat. If Traynor deemed that it needed a fan for extra cooling then you'd better believe it definitely needed it.

4. neverrecover

neverrecover Member

I had a '67 custom special that had a pretty loud original fan. I didnt notice it much playing live at first but it used to annoy in the studio. I swapped the fan with a direct replacement and it was infinitely quieter. I think I remember it being from Antique Electrical Supply. In any case I swapped it quick and easy for a decent price.

5. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Member

Have you cleaned and oiled the fan? It helped mine a lot.

6. davegardner0

davegardner0 Member

Cleaning and/or replacing the fan are both very good thoughts.

I'll take a look on that site. How did you figure out what would fit? Is it as simple as getting something that fits in the hole in the side of the amp?

7. arumrunner

arumrunner Member

One of my ole MKIIs had seen more smokey bars than a cow poke searching for a virgin.

[​IMG]

So after scraping off the mojo dust for future use in a limited edition pedal called Dusty Dirt Drive, I replaced it with one from a 1975 Admiral Beer Fridge.

[​IMG]

Knowing that it would eventually tire of hot EL34 vrs cold Moslon X, I installed a micro switch to shut it the truck up.

[​IMG]

DW

8. arumrunner

arumrunner Member

Serious tone factory...

[​IMG]

DW

9. davegardner0

davegardner0 Member

arumrunner, how's your amp doing with the original capacitors? Also it looks like yours has the fan mounted in a different place than mine. My fan is in a hole in the side of the cabinet.

10. Franktone

Franktone Member

The round corner Mark II I once had, had the fan on the side.
    I heard later that the early seventies Mark II's had the internal fan.

11. cabkab

cabkab Member

Those big paper electrolytic caps are probably bad... Are they leaking on the ends?

12. Franktone

Franktone Member

Yes, and those big metal can electrolytic filter capacitors are due to be replaced real soon
    or they can take out your power transformer with them when they blow, I heard.

13. davegardner0

davegardner0 Member

yeah you're brave still running the original caps. Mine were super leaky.