Traynor YBA-1A issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ugameus, Jan 28, 2012.

1. ugameus

ugameus Member

I have a Traynor YBA-1A. I recently replaced the filter caps. The amp worked fine before, as well as for a few weeks after the cap change. Now, I can turn on the amp, but as soon as I flip the standby switch to play, it trips the breaker.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Power tube? here's the procedure to follow.....
    The amp blows fuses
    This is a common problem. Usually it's a shorted rectifier or power tube. Take all the tubes out of the amp, replace the fuse and turn on both switches. If the fuse blows then you probably have a shorted filter cap or in extreme circumstances, a blown power transformer. This is not going to be fixable at the gig. If the light stays on when you take all the tubes out, shut the amp down and install the rectifier tube (if it has one), then the power tubes, then the preamp tubes one by one turning the amp on every time you install a new tube. When the fuse blows, you've found the bad tube. Sometimes the fuse will blow if you simply flip both switches on at the same time (which you should never do! Shame on you if you do this! Let the tubes warm up about 30 seconds before you turn on the second switch!). If you find that the fuse blows after replacing one of the power tubes, and still blows when you install a known good power tube, you could possibly have a blown output transformer.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Check your work.
    Better, have someone else check it.
    Nothing is harder to find than self screwups that 'couldn't possibly' be wrong.

4. ugameus

ugameus Member

1. I have checked my work. It is six solder joints. All seems to be well on that front. I will have someone else check to make sure.

2. No fuse on this one. It has a breaker.

3. It has a solid state rectifier.

4. I never flip both power and standby at the same time. It helps that one is on the front and one on the back of the amp.

5. I will try powering on with no tubes, then try to narrow down the culprit as described above.