Traynor YBA1-A ?'s

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Sharkey, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

I picked my yard-sale YBA-1A mk11 up from the repair shop a few weeks back and I've played it quiet a bit since then. The amp had a bad OT so a Hammond replacement was installed and my Tech serviced everything that he saw fit to get the amp back to 100%.
    I'm using this amp with an over-sized Mesa 4X12 cab thats loaded with Vintage 30's and I am floored at how damn good this thing sounds!!! I researched quiet a few old threads here at TGP on vintage Traynor's so I expected this amp to sound good but WOW.
    I've played and owned some really nice amps in my day and this one ranks right up there the best of them.:dude
    Huge, fat, round tone and it's probably the best pedal platform that I've tried to date. This amp is LOUD but with my pedal-board it's not that big of an issue.

I absolutely love both inputs on Channel 1 but Channel 2 sounds thin in comparison & way too bright. So my questions are:

1- Is it normal that channel 2 sounds this way?
    2- What can be done to make channel 2 usable?

Thanks

2. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Based on the way you describe the sound, I'm guessing you don't play the amp with the volumes all the way up... the effect of the bright cap is not as noticeable if you're playing flat out.

If you clip the bright cap out, then both channels are the same, barring any other mods in there.[/quote]

Thanks for the info John:AOK
    About the only place this amp could be played flat out would be at an outdoor Coliseum without serious damage to yourself or anyone else in the general vacinity!:roll
    Now I love to play loud but this amp can be damn right painful cranked.

3. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

I agree 100%:D

Mabe I should just leave it stock then. I'm totally happy with channel 1:AOK

4. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

What a lot of people do with YBA-1's and YBA-1A's is jump the two inputs together. Each has two sockets, so you can do it with a short patch cord.

You think you love this amp now (and it sounds like you do), wait until you spend a few minutes tweaking the two volumes with the inputs jumped. :)

5. cameron

cameron Member

Yeah, I always bridge the channels on mine. Playing the two channels in parallel like that does fatten up the sound nicely.

Even if you don't bridge the two channels, you might notice that the volume control of the channel you're not using has a subtle effect on the sound of the channel you are using. Experiment.

6. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Love those Hammond output trannies. :)

7. Oatman

Oatman Member

BIG +1

I also just got a YBA-1 (not 1A). Mixing the two channels w/ the jumper is like a whole new tone stack. Mine has a master volume mod that doesn't suck, but truth told it sounds so much better turned up it's hard to use it. The pre-amp distortion sounds fizzy (not bad, but not great) with the MV turned more than half way down.

Enjoy your plexi for pennies!

8. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Thanks for the suggestion everyone. :AOK
    I experimented with jumpering the channels when I first got the amp back but only briefly. The low input on Channel 1 with my Strat & pedal-board is my absolute favorite so far. I expected that my LP would sound great with this circuit but when I plugged my Strat into the low side of channel 1; it was like a religious experience for me & totally un-expected...
    I know that a lot of great players have coaxed big TONE from a Strat & a Plexi but it normally just doesn't work out like that for me and my style of play, for whatever reason. The LP likes the high side of channel 1 best and it's pretty spectacular in it's own right!!!

Does anyone care to share their favorite channel jumping combinations on the YBA1-A?