Traynor YCS-50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dotlikeimpact, May 8, 2008.

1. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

I just had an amp blow up, so it's new amp time. I'm on a budget, so this amp popped out as a possibility. I generally play americana music (alt.country, jazz, 50s and 60s garage rock, a bit of indie stuff) and have no need for higher gain sounds. Frankly, I'm looking for something that will do the clean+hair and modest 'stones-y' overdrive. I usually use a Les Paul and a Tele, and can't stand OD pedals (tried all the boutiquey and mass produced stuff that people bring up over and over and just couldn't bond with any of them). My band rehearses without PA support for guitar amps, but we do mic up when we gig. I usually tend toward Voxy amps, but that might not be possible with my current budget. What do you think of this amp?

2. reverendfrankie

reverendfrankie Supporting Member

I've got Traynor's limited run YCV15 Blue and have had several others. But - i regularly play the YCS50 Combo at my local Long & McQuade (Traynor's parent co.) You just described what I look for in an amp - clean+hair - and the combo does that exceptionally well. I play it with my Am Deluxe Strat and love it. Huge variety in the two channels. I also tried the YCS50 Head with their 4x12 Cab, but didn't like it as much (but didn't have much time to dial it in.) I hope you can find somewhere to try it out - i was very impressed.
    Again YMMV,
    Cheers,
    Rev frank

3. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

I have one of these. The tones are pretty much Marshall on the high gain channel and blackface Fender/early Marshall on the clean channel. If you like these types of sounds, you'll like this amp.

Its very gig friendly as well, with features such as seperate reverb and effects levels for both channels coming in handy. It does the "fender/marshall in one amp" concept very well.

So far I'm very happy with mine. I play pop, classic rock, blues, country and hard rock and it covers all these styles pretty well. My main gigging amp for the past 5 years has been a Carr Slant 6V and I get just as much enjoyment from this amp as I do the Carr.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I love it. Best combo at any price I've ever played. There are quite a few threads on it here, and at HC.

5. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Interesting. Can it do Vox-like moves at all? I know that's hard with 6L6s, but one can get Vox flavors.

Also, how gain-y is the dirty channel? Can it be set for lower gain and still sound good?

GCDEF, most of the threads I've found just say some variation on "it sounds good", or "it's a great bargain". Nothin' really about what it sounds like. I'm just curious.

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

It doesn't really do the Vox thing that well, but it does pretty much everything else.

The clean channel has two configurations, USA and Brit. USA is a Fender type of sound. Big and clean like a Twin. Brit is more like an old Marshall. Pretty clean but breaks up into a nice crunch like a Bluesbreaker would.

The drive channel has modern and vintage settings. Vintage is kind of a JCM800 sound. Good for that wall of guitar heavy Marshall stack kind of tone. Sort of a Van Halen or 80s rock kind of tone. Modern is a little brighter and edgier, pretty much what they say. More modern sounding. Think Radiohead's Creep. Then there's a scoop button if you want to go for a metal sound.

There's a lead boost to fatten your solos, reverb levels, gain, volume and eq for each channel, 15 or 50 watts and a great master volume. That's a lot of features for not much money, and amazingly, all the features work extremely well.