Traynor YCS50 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Doug59, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

I just picked up one of these amps used and it sounds great. I notice that when you have the "voice" feature on the volume seems lower than when it's off. Is this the way the amp is designed?

2. DRS

DRS Member

The "voice" switch is probably a fixed passive tone stack. All passive tone stacks will reduce the signal a little so it is not a "feature" but a "consequence."

3. sefloval

sefloval Member

I have the YCS50 head. Yes, it does lower the volume with the voice on. I like it with the voice OFF as it seems to make the amp sound more open without using the resonance and presence controls, but that's just me.
    Also, if you engage the "Brit" setting on channel 2, you may notice channel 1's gain bumps up a little more. Not sure if that was intended in the design, but just something I've noticed. I've had my head for almost two years and is my main amp and love it. I installed JJ KT77's and love the sound over the stock EL34's. Congrats on your amp!

4. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

Thanks guys. I also like it with the Voice off.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Careful, the voice button is a bit confusing. Pressed 'in' is actually 'off' and if the button is 'out' then voice is 'on'. Counterintuitive.