Traynor YCS50 versus Kustom Coupe 36

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Webfoot, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Looking for a good combo that is 6L6. Love the fender clean but did not like HRD series (too bassy and a bittle 'hard' sounding) and Vibrolux to noisy. These are both two channels and at good price points. Any one try them both out?

- Which one is better and why?
    - Which one does a better loud fender clean?
    - Which one does better distortion?

2. Webfoot

3. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I have owned both here's my $.02....
    The Traynor has a better, crunchier gain channel. You can almost approach metal with the Traynor. The Brit switch on the Traynor offers a myriad of possibilities. The Traynor is also switchable from 50 watts down to 15 which is great. IMO the clean channels are virtually a tie. The Traynor might be a little warmer. The only feature of the Kustom that had an edge over the Traynor was the footswitchable volume boost. This was extremely handy for solos. All in all they are both great amps but I have to give the edge in versatility and sound to the Traynor.

4. Webfoot

jimmyohio... good info... sounds like you do not own either now. I am looking for a good combo that is has 6L6 fender like sound. Did you replace both amps with something else? Did you gig with both?

5. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I owned the Kustom first and only bought the Traynor because I played one on a whim and had to have it. I then sold the Kustom. I never gigged with the Kustom but gigged several gigs with the Traynor. The Traynor performed admirably in live gigs. You are correct I do not own either of these amps anymore. Being a true gear whore I have moved on to Orange amps. I currently own a Tiny Terror and the Rocker 30 combo. IMO the Orange distortion is the best of anything I've played. Of course the Orange stuff is getting into a substantial jump in price. I use the Rocker 30 for gigs and it has been perfect for what we do. The Tiny Terror does not have nearly enough clean headroom so I use it for practice. The Traynor will have plenty of clean headroom for you if that's what you need.

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I have the Traynor. It's a fantastic amp. It does have a boost switch for solos, although it's more of a fat switch than a real boost. Never played the Kustom, but of all the amps I've ever owned in 35 years of playing, and there have been a lot, the Traynor is my favorite.

You'd probably like the Fender Supersonic too.

7. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

I was looking at the same amps, but a kustom 72 instead. Sounds like the traynor is the way to go.