• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Traynor YCV 20 dead upon arrival

dehughes

Hi all,

I was trying to hit up the Amp Garage forum, but apparently it's being attacked by malware/hackers at the moment and Chrome won't let me in. Probably for the best, as I don't like viruses....

When last I checked, there were some pretty knowledgeable people here, so what the heck...maybe one of you can point me in the right direction. :)

I have a friend's Traynor YCV20 amp here, and it was DOA. According to him, the amp fizzled out a while back and he traced it to a cracked EL84 with white flashing...apparently one of the two EL84's failed and took a fuse with it. However, when he replaced the fuse and the power tubes, he said the amp worked for a short while before the standby switch stopped functioning, the amp got quiet, and then wouldn't work at all.

The fuse was blown when I got it, but the power tubes look fine and nothing seems suspect on the PCB. Granted, the components for the preamp are on the side not visible by me, but the power components are and nothing appears burnt or disconnected. I only see one fuse on the schematic.

Any suggestions? I've built/repaired a fair amount of hand wired amps, but PCB stuff with chips and such are a bit out of my league. I've replaced a power transistor before, but I don't have a ton of diagnostic skill or tools and it's been a while since I've got into a PCB amp.

Here's the schematic...any and all ideas and suggestions are appreciated!

http://traynoramps.com/downloads/servman/sm_ycv20.pdf

Thanks!

David

Last edited:

dehughes

Did that, and installed known good EL84s. Still blew. Likely something on the board got toasted, but I'm not going to dig into it and check....a bit out of my league. Going to either a repair shop here in town or back to Traynor. Thanks!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom