Traynor YCV series temperature question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eisrael37, Mar 1, 2012.

1. eisrael37

eisrael37 Member

So I'm about to get my second Traynor amp Saturday. I have the YCW20WR now, and love it. To get some more headroom, I'm picking up a YCV40WR Saturday.

Through swapping tubes out of my 20, I've noticed the metal enclosure around the tubes. Through playing, I've noticed how ridiculously hot the amp gets due to this. Has anyone had one of these Traynors/another amp, and had an issue with tube life/hardware malfunctioning over time due to the insane heat produced and contained by the enclosure in these guys?

2. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

I had a YCV20 serviced (retubed, etc.) by Savage Audio in MPLS and they mentioned it ran very hot. They suggested a fan near the amp. It probably wouldn't be too intensive to put a computer type fan inside the amp (I think Jackson Ampworks puts fans in their heads)...but what I did is just clip a mini clip on fan (Walmart/Target/etc.) to a chair or ampstand near the amp for practices that went long.

3. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

I've never noticed an insane amount of heat from my YCV40WR. Warm? Yeah. But not ridiculously hot. The preamp tubes are sealed up pretty good in a metal enclosure, but if I recall correctly, the 6L6's have a reasonable amount of room to breathe.

4. AnotherAvatar

AnotherAvatar Senior Member

I have owned both, at the same time. Never noticed a heat issue. Great cleans!

5. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I liked my YCV40WR. Never had any head issues. I sold it to make room for a Mesa DC3, big mistake.

To get more clean headroom from my EL84 amp, I switched to military grade Sovtek EL84M's. They are built heavier, and can handle more heat. The only down side is, that they are so clean, that I have to use a pedal for overdrive.