Traynor YCV20 WR (15 watt EL84) problem

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Jeztastic, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Jeztastic

Jeztastic Member

2. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

Sounds to me like it could be heat related. Try using a fan of some kind blowing on the tubes and chassis if possible. I know the amp is cathode biased and cathode resisters get hot and could drift , could be some other component as well but I'm thinking heat is the problem especially if it takes a few hours for the problem to show up. It's a tough call from here but that's where I'd start looking. Hope this helps.
    Dave C

3. Jeztastic

Jeztastic Member

Thanks, yeah that had occured to me too. The pre-amp tubes are very enclosed. The other possibilty is the power supply in the rehearsal room. We are running the whole band plus a fan heater of one outlet, and we're stressing it a lot. I'm wondering if the dodgy power supply could affect the amp?

4. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

You might try leaving off the plate that covers up the preamp tubes. You might not want to do that permanently because of dust and dirt but it might help you troubleshoot the problem.

5. Jeztastic

Jeztastic Member

I am 99.9% sure that the problem is caused by the power at our rehearsal space now. It doesn't occur anywhere else. Thanks for the suggests though, everybody!