Traynor YCV40WR Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ezyrydr, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ezyrydr

ezyrydr Member

I recently borrowed a YCV40WR from a local music store for a night. Took it home and played it with my guitars and liked the sound.
    I heard re-tubing this amp will work wonders.

Since it's self-biasing I also heard you can put EL-84 yellow jackets in it. Has anyone done this?

I was thinking of getting a AC15cc but the Traynor seems much more reliable. Will those EL84s give me that voxish tone?

Thanks!

2. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

3. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Might look at a Laney LC15, poor man's Vox.

4. mindwave_21

mindwave_21 Member

I have a YCV40 (not WR, but I did upgrade to a Eminence Wizard and JJ 6L6GC's and 12AX7's). I actually talked to Bob at Eurotubes about this very thing. He basically told me that people haven't been as impressed with them in the traynor because the bass thins out, the headroom is pretty much gone, and it still doesn't sound like a vox. I have since been deterred, but if you happen to try it, let me know how it works out!

I guess you have to take others' opinions with a grain of salt. He suggested a KT77 retube with hot 12AX7's for what I was looking for (british sound I guess). I might have had the wrong impression for what I wanted, because this hi gain retube, which happens to be the most expensive retube, sounded like poo poo to my ears. Clean channel breakup was cardboardy and early at lower volumes ...I thought for the longest time I needed to retube because it sounded like static when I hard-strummed chords. I replaced the KT77's with 6L6GC's and enjoy the deeper cleans, the added headroom, and basically the same flavor on the dist channel.

PS - Make sure to get the cathode bias yellow jacket converters (there are many different types of YJs for various amp types, I think it's the YJC model).

5. ezyrydr

ezyrydr Member

Thanks for the input everyone.
    I didn't realize the YCV20WR had EL84 in it. I kinda doubt it'll be loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer and still have some clean headroom though.
    I thought the 40WR sounded pretty good stock but maybe the EL84s aren't the way to go when upgrading tubes, probably just replace the Sovteks with JJ or EH if I go with that amp.