Traynor YCV40WR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by underdog726, Feb 20, 2012.

1. underdog726

underdog726 Member

Just wondering on what you guys opinions are on this amp, ive had mine for awhile and i go back and forth on whether i like it or not. I dont use the overdrive channel at all , and use pedals on the clean side. I hate to say it (so cliche) but I like the SRV texas blues type tones. If anyone wants to share settings, id appreciate that as well. I mostly play a 60 classic player strat with the 69 pickups. I have a OCD and one of the joyo "vintage overdrives"(tube screamer clone) being delivered tomorrow. Thanks, underdog

2. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

I prefer the Clean and the Drive channel of this amp over the Fender HRDx.
    I think the Reverb of the HRDx sounds better.
    If you can find a used YCV40WR in good shape, they are a nice amp.
    Best

3. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

I thought the top end/lead sound of mine was fizzy and buzzy. Other then that it was really nice for cleans and semi-dirty rhythms.

4. golfnutt67

golfnutt67 Member

:agreeThat was pretty much my experience too

5. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I like mine a lot-I don't use the clean channel at all though-too clean for me. It is a bright amp, especially with the V30 aimed right at you, but with a closed back cab and greenbacks, it's a really nice sounding amp-still good by itself though. I think it favors humbuckers-my thinline Tele with humbuckers and the Traynor were made for each other. It's a little more Vox/Marshall voiced than a HRD. I got the full JJ retube from Eurotubes and it makes a noticable difference.

6. Hoss

Hoss Member

I've had mine for 5 years...while i lust after other amps from time to time...I don't think i could ever bring myself to sell it in order to get one!

It just has such a full deep clean sound and it takes pedal sooooo well!!!

I have a master volume mod on mine and it comes in real handy and makes it extremely versatile for various venues!

7. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

I've owned one for several years, and have always been pleased with it. I think the clean channel is particularly nice, and generally just use pedals into the clean channel for overdrive tones.

I ended up swapping out the V30 for an Eminence Texas Heat, and was pleased with the change--mostly a smoother top end and a much strong bottom end. The V30 worked well, recorded nicely, and generally sounded good in a band mix, but for clean/low-gain stuff tended to be a bit harsh for me. I could see the Texas Heat being a better choice for your SRV type stuff.

These days I've been playing my 15W Tweaker more often, as it has an equally sweet clean tone and a better ability to dial in edge-of-breakup tones, so if I were shopping now, I'd look at the 40W Tweaker as an alternative to the Traynor, but would certainly still consider the Traynor.

As for settings, nothing particularly unusual. Just the clean channel with presence set low, eq knobs generally around the midpoint. However, I've been playing humbuckers more and actually ended up turning the treble way down at my last gig to tame a slightly harsh top end I was getting--something about the resonant peak of the buckers or something. I never use the bright switch.

When I do use the OD channel, I'd generally go for a lowish-gain bluesy setting, and hit the boost switch for leads--that always seemed to work pretty well.

8. underdog726

underdog726 Member

thanks all, the joyo vintage overdrive sounds sweet thru it, been enjoying that for a few days now. Might check into a texas heat, i could always use the vintage 30 in a closed back cab with it later. No bright swith , huh fatteletom? I seem to like it better with it on but the treble turned down to 10 0clock or so. thanks again for all your inputs, underdog.

9. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

I had a YCV40 and I really liked it. I used both channels quite a bit.

A few things that I didn't like: the boost was not tweakable and so I didn't use it a lot. And the reverb, while sounding good, was difficult to give up a sweet spot.

The main thing was the cabinet/speaker however. It was very directional and piercing. It blooms fantastically 20+ feet out in front of it, but standing near it I could never get it balanced. In a small band practice space it was always too quiet for someone in the band and beaming someone else in the face. An extension cabinet probably would have helped.

Fond memories tho.

10. Guitar100

Guitar100 Member

Another thumbs up here for my YCV40. I had one of the originals but added a Vintage 30. Like some others, I mostly live on the clean channel, which I love and takes pedals very well. Nice big, full sound, and the tone knobs do make a noticeable difference. Can get very bright, but easy to tame. Sometimes I like cranking the mids for a different sound.

It's been a real workhorse for me for gigging, rehearsal, and recording. Bought mine used probably 5-6 years ago for about $400. They don't seem to hold their value very well, though I don't fully understand that.

Anyway, all in all a great amp to these ears...

11. vintage66

vintage66 Member

The fact that they don't hold their value (really I probably only paid in the $600 range new so $400 isn't that bad) is why I'll hang on to it. I know it's a really good sounding amp that's reliable and if I had to buy a used one later I wouldn't know it's history so it's one of those things I'd regret selling.

12. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Actually, I have one of the 2 x EL84 YCV20WR combos. These are awesome little amps for the money. I paid 350 for a use one, and it looked brand new. Comes with a Celestion G12M. If any of you guys live near me and want to take it for a test drive.....shoot me an email.
    Best