Traynor YCV50 Blue: who still owns one, who sold, and why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sparky6string, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

This amp has been on my radar for quite a while. I've read of some owners that were very satisfied and some not so much. It's been a while since these came out, so who still has one, and if you sold, why?

BTW that YCV15Blue looks mighty nice, but pricey for a new Traynor.

2. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Wow, I should have added a third catagory- Who never bought one.

Really? No one here has one of these? :confused:

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I've never bought one.

I've heard alot of good things about them tho. I played one, and liked it, but I sort of felt like 'want the Marshall sound, get a Marshall'. Thought the reverb was just okay since I couldn't footswitch it (I think). The clean channel was very nice, the gain channel Marshall drive, noisy with the boost engaged.

All and all a good sounding amp at a reasonable price.

4. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

There are no local dealers stocking these so I've never played one. I have noticed though that there are increasing amounts of them showing up used on ebay and as a result they're becoming an even better deal.

5. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I had one for about 15 months - that's good for me. I replaced the stock Vintage 30 with an Eminence Wizard, replaced the Sovtek preamps with JJ's - I bought the blues kit from eurotubes with the lower gain tube for V1 and it made the boost more useable. The amp has plenty of gain on tap as it is. I thought the clean channel was nice, especially with the bright switch on. Overall, I kinda wish I'd kept it.

6. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I've owned the 50 Blue (and the 40 and 20WR), and sold it when the 15 Blue came out. I agree with the previous posts, but when I tried the 15 it was game over. The 15 is lots more 3D, sweeter, harmonically way more complex, and has a better clean channel (actually both channels are substantially better). It's the same price, weighs a pound more, and the cab is an inch deeper. It's also just as loud! I thought the shared EQ might be a shortcoming, but you EQ the amp for the lead channel, then click the bright switch on the clean channel to makeup the top end. Comes stock with a Governor, which I really prefer to the V30. I've been using this as my number one for almost three months now, so I'm not honeymooning. I also have the matching extension cab, and it really makes this amp something special. It also likes all my guitars; singles, P90s and hummers. I like the lead channel so much I haven't used my Xotic BB or RC, or my Diamond optical comp since I got it (sounds great with all the above; my point is that the drive is already great by itself). The boost just kills, especially with my Musicman Silhouette Special loaded with Wagner SRs. The harmonic bloom is as good as a lot of really pricey boutiques I've owned/used/heard.
    Bottom line: The 50 has a bit more clean headroom (the clean channel is its downfall), but the 15 eats it in every other respect. After the literally hundreds of amps I've owned in my career, it's the best new one I've ever bought under a grand. Not a bedroom amp, this sucker wants the power tubes in meltdown and the masters are not the answer. Did I mention it's LOUD? IT'S LOUD! Highly recommended!-Eric

7. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I wish I could try that YCV15Blue out. Sounds like a sweet amp. Got clips?

So many here are still satisfied with the 50, good to know. After seeing that influx of them on ebay I was wondering. Thanks fellas.

8. UconnJack

UconnJack Supporting Member

I owned both the 40WR and 50 Blue. While I believe they are good value amplifiers, I just couldn't bond with either. I was not impressed with the build quality, especially after I sent my WR back for repair twice. YMMV :).

I will say the 50 opened up nicely with a 2X12 cabinet.

9. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Same here. I have been wanting to play the 50Blue cause of the EL34's but I may give the 15 a go. If I can track one down.

Any ideas where to get one? I wish MF sold em'. Hehehehe.

10. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Maybe Eric can suggest a place. I tracked a vender down on the web but it took a while and didn't bookmark. Contact Yorkville, they can probably tell you who they shipped to.

I believe the YCV50Blue was originally a limited run like the YCV15 and that ended up being more available, so maybe the 15 will as will. Let us know how it works out.

11. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

I'ld love to know who stocks the YCV15, I asked Traynor and they were no help. They also have a three channel head out that looks interesting that noone stocks either.

12. 2ManyThumbs

2ManyThumbs Silver Supporting Member

What do you know about it. Thank you?

13. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I work at a music store, so I don't want to spam. We stock both, and would be glad to talk by PM.-Eric

14. Eye Banez

Eye Banez Member

I rented a YCV 15 a couple of months ago and I'm currently testing it out with stock issue tubes against my Ampeg Superjet SJ-12R. It does rock! Very nice sounds and loud. I like the sound every bit as good as some of the other 18 watters. Drive channel is good enought to stand on its own.

They're asking $725 CDN new...I think I'll buy it. I think it's worth the $.

15. Bat Country

Bat Country Member

I just sold mine actually. Did I like it? Oh yeah, I felt that its clean channel was the selling point, and the gain was its downfall, though not much of one. THe clean was very fat and warm, but it did lack a little headroom. And as mentioned above, its LOUD LOUD LOUD!!! That was the only reason I sold it. It was far too loud for me to play basically in town, and the master wasn't as effective as I thought it would be though. I bought one when it first came out, for the cash i paid for it, great amp! Just be sure you can utilize all that sound.

16. cube

cube Member

the ycs100...
    last i heard was it did not work yet and has not been released.

they did have fake one on the set of falcon beach..

17. reverendfrankie

reverendfrankie Supporting Member

Long & McQuade - the commercial arm of Traynor/Yorkville sound, carries them here in Canada. Like the 50Blue they were a short run, special product that appears to have caught on. You can find it in their catalogue here: http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=1&cat=18&id=359

I really enjoy the amp as well. Traynors seem made for the new Eminence Red Coat series. I have a YCV40 with an Emi Red Fang and it's delicious. I've also retubed once with JJ's and am now in the process of upgrading with the help of KCA Mike and Doug's Tubes - but I digress.

The 15 Blue caught my attention for its articulation and big sound for 15 watts. If my wife was more willing (or equally irresponsible :)) it would probably join my 40. If you're serious about it try http://www.long-mcquade.com/index.php (no i don't work for them, but they are a Canadian operation that has non-commissioned musician staff that actually know their stuff!)

It's occasionally nice to have access to some goodies ahead of our American cousins.

Totally off topic - there was a great thread about our wives rolling their eyes in response to our GAS - was it lost in the server crash?

18. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just picked up one of these as a "grab and go" amp for smaller gigs.

Overall, I like it. It will definitely work for my needs. The stock Sovteks are as bad as everyone says, so I put a pair of JJ EL34s and some NOS GE 12AX7s in the preamp. MUCH BETTER.

I am still not totally enamored with the drive channel, but the cleans will work very well with the same pedals I use into my clean Hiwatt....... The speaker definitely needs to break in too.

Not bad, especially compared to whatever else is available in the $500 range......

19. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

For almost 2 years now....very nice amp...but don't expect a bedroom screamer (the police will show up) - which is why I'm debating trying something else.

Has anyone tried lower gain tubes for this amp...perhaps a 12AT7 in V1 and a 5751 in V2? Obviously, nothing is going to make this an amp you can "let loose" in a quiet neighborhood, but before I take the plunge and completely retool my rig for a lower wattage Class A job I'd like to at least investigate options.

Thanks,
    Jay

20. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I've been using a YCV20WR class A in small rooms using delay in the effects loop and channel switching and I love the sound and get alot of raves, sounds great with humbuckers. I want to try some of the higher wattage ones 40-50 watt. I like the sound of Traynors better than my Blues Jr. and want a replacement for the Hot Rod Deluxe I'm not very fond of. I do have a Marshall combo too and like it and find the Traynors have more clarity