Traynor YSR-1 advice needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jp-90, Apr 9, 2015.

1. jp-90

jp-90 Member

I have a late 60's YSR-1 that I don't know what to think of. I have a few other Traynors as well (YRM, YGL and YGM)--They're all different sounds, but they all have a clarity and punch that's lacking in the YSR.

My YSR is loud. Kind of brittle when clean then a bit fizzy and mushy once driven. Also, it breaks up very quickly. I was hoping it would be a bit more like a YRM but with tube bias trem. Or a louder YGM.

Well I took it to my small town tech, and after 5 weeks he said he couldn't find any issue--claimed everything was measuring to spec, and he didn't charge me.

So I'm wondering--is this just how these amps sound or do I need to find a new tech?

Does anyone have experience with a YSR-1 and a YRM to compare? They're both rated at about the same power, but my YRM just blows away the sickly sounding YSR.

2. supervillian

supervillian Member

I had two YSR-1s (just sold one) and they are as loud as my YBA-1s, have the same OD sound when cranked. Nice cleans (but not chimey like a YGM) but good reverb and great tremolo. The EQ section is baxandall style. Did not break up too early, so I don't know what is up with yours, it doesn't sound like my experience with them. Maybe swap some tubes to see if that helps. I always jump the inputs too. I use mine for any clean stuff I do, like soul or ska etc. Always sounds good. They are my favorite Traynor amp, so good luck with it...maybe its something simple.

3. jp-90

jp-90 Member

Supervillian, you're description of the YSR sound is definitely more in line with what I expected. I guess I need to find a new tech or else fix it myself...

4. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

I have two of them, kinda a Marshall with reverb and trem. You may need caps and tubes, they can sound like crap without some maintenence.

5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I had the same experience with the one I had. Had to be cranked up to get dirty.

6. jp-90

jp-90 Member

Mine has been recapped and retubed since I got it. I know this is sort of subjective, but where would you say the volume was at, number-wise, before the amp broke up?

7. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

5-7 depending on pickups. Weak preamp tube?

8. jp-90

jp-90 Member

Yeah, mine is definitely starting to break up at about 2 on the dial, even with single coils. Something must be wrong....

9. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

Sound wise, my experience mirrors Supervillain. I don't think the tone controls are baxandall, though.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  10. supervillian

supervillian Member

Using a humbucker equipped guitar, both of mine would start breaking up around 4 if plugged into the bassier, louder input. That's pretty loud though.

I think breakup at 2 w single coils is suspect. I've heard 12ay7s preamp tubes are cleaner than others, maybe those might help. And try playing through a loud efficient cab, that might also help. But I am not a tech guy, these are just the simplest things I could think of.

Good luck! Its a great amp when working right.