• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Traynor YSR-1 Popping and Screeching question

shanetram

Silver Supporting Member
I have an early 70's Traynor Custom Reverb (YSR-1) that pops and screeches when taken out of standby. I warm up the amp for 5-10 minutes and then switch out of standby then it immediately starts to pop for a few seconds then screech once or twice and then it stops and runs fine with no noise. I can play for two hours with no problems. If I take a break and put the amp back into standby that same thing happens when I switch to operate again. It doesn't last long and it's only brief (5-10 seconds) but it seems to be getting worse.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Blue Strat

Microphonic preamp tube? See what happens if you turn down all volume controls before switching it on.

donnyjaguar

It *may* not be the same problem, but my 1978 Traynor had the same symptom. Except it would pop and screech and eventually blow the breaker. It turned out to be a bad output tube (original) that had the heater shorting to the cathode. I had to replace the two resistors on the filament leads too, which it had smoked, but all has been fine since. Found also bad socket that needed re-tensioning, but don't think this was the cause.

shanetram

Silver Supporting Member
It's got all new tubes but maybe I have a bad one. It passes the tapping test. I'll swap some tubes and see what happens.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Chute Amps

Is it a very high pitch screech?
It could be noise induced into the power section by a dying filter cap, have you checked them out?

Trending Topics