Traynor YVM-1 advice on mods etc.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtrchris, Mar 3, 2008.

1. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

A friend of mine just handed me his old Traynor YVM-1 s.n V-2338 which was a part of the Canadian group Lighthouse's sound system way back in the day. Anyways I plugged it into a 16 ohm 2x12 cab and MAN what a tone! Clean, thick even with a tele! Still has the original glass too..nice
    I have a few questions..first off I'm sure it's worth the few guitar lessons that he wants in return, but I'm not sure about the 4 inputs on the back.. is there anyway to jumper them like on a Marshall? These were originally used as pAs from what I understand, so are they convertible into tone machines like the YBA-1's, or are they totally different? It sounds kind of like a Hiwatt currently which I really dig-maybe I don't need to muck around and should just leave it stock:nono

Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.
    Chris

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

Leave it stock, at least for a while. I have had two of these and couldn't bring myself to modding them because they were in mint and near mint condition and are so beautifully built. Plus, they sound good stock. Try just adding a RC Booster and a Zen pedal or OCD.

3. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

Thanks Bosstone, I really like it stock, but a tech up here in Canada says it makes for a great plexi platform with those big tannies. I think I may need two just like you!:AOK

4. bosstone

bosstone Member

Andy Fuchs has been modding them into his ODS.

5. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

You guys mark my words... in a few years folks'll be paying big bucks for old Traynors that were not modded. With all the pedal fans here, why no love for Pete's pedal-loving circuits?

Disclaimer... yeah, I've had two done up by Andy, but I love the stock ones as well.

6. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

Good call Mike, the YVM sure does love pedals.I wouldn't want to have a mod done on one of these unless it could be easily taken back to stock.
    Chris