Traynor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bacton, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Bacton

Bacton Member

I dont know much about these amps. I hear they flow like wine in Canada, but ive never seen one in PA. What do they sound like? What are some good years and models? Educate me on these babies.

2. david henman

david henman Member

...the ycv40wr is a basic 40 watt 1-12 combo, similar to fender's hot rod deluxe. it has a celestion vintage 30 speaker.

you will have a very difficult time finding a better amp in its price range. the only weakness, in my opinion, is the reverb, but that may be a taste issue, or perhaps even a faulty reverb in my own amp.

this is a non master volume amp, thankfully, and it has one of the most usable drive channels i've heard. you may also want to consider the ycv50, which has a marshall-flavoured drive channel.

i've had mine for nearly five years. built like a tank, and incredibly reliable. excellent warranty, as well.

-david
    toronto

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

David's description nailed the new amps above.
    Vintage ones like the YBA-1 were inspired by the tweed Bassman, just as early Marshalls were. VERY well-built amps w/ excellent sound and great iron. Great as is, or w/ some minor mods to be a bit more Fender or Marshall like.
    There are videos of Pete Traynor tossing a YBA-1 off the Much Music building in Toronto - tubes broke, were replaced and the amp worked fine. There's some road-worthy build quality! And that was the point - to provide reliable amps to pro Canadian musicians - this was/is not an easy country to tour, esp. in the '60/70s!

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

The clean is non master volume, the drive channel has gain and volume. I have one and I really like it. The reverb is subtle - no surf. It is good for colouring the sound - make it wet.

5. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

I have a YBA-1 that was given to me by a friend (very generous dude! These things can go for hefty bucks on eBay) and restored by Total Tone in Toronto - gorgeous clean tones, and LOUD!

I've also heard some modded YBA-1's that sounded phenomenal as well.

They have a newer line of tube combo amps that sound really good as well.

6. NatStrat79

NatStrat79 Member

7. John II

John II Member

+1. I have had a couple of these for years. I run them in stereo. They are not stock as I have changed the tubes and the speakers. The tube change was a waste of time. I did not hear a difference.

I too would consider them to be similar to Fender's Hot Rod Deluxe amps, with a couple of exceptions. The HRD has more head room, but the YCV40 has a much better sounding drive channel.

They have held up beautifully over the years. Great amps for the money.

~John II

8. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

David,

What tubes and speaker are you running? I've never been able to stand the drive channel. Mine has always sounded nasally sounding. Other than that It's a great amp. Very durable.
    It takes pedals great too. I've ran many overdrives through it(fulldrive, rust driver, hotcake, bad monkey,sd1) and they've always sounded great.

-Brenton

9. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Click HERE for more information on Traynor amplifiers.

Everything you've heard is probably true. The YBA series seem to be the most popular. I have one of these and they are very LOUD. It has a unique tone.

Traynors seemed to have a number of features that were clever and probably should've been adopted by others. Like the schematic diagram. Its glued to the inside of the chassis. :) The top cover comes off allowing troubleshooting without removing the chassis from the cabinet. High-powered amplifiers had MOVs on the output tubes to stop them from destroying themselves should the speaker go open. Speaker cabinets were available in many different configurations.

DJ

10. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

I've heard the YBA-1 can be modded to Plexi-like specs. Also, the new YCV series are excellent value for the money. I tried the 50 Watt/EL34 combo and damn near traded my Marshall Head and Cab for it. In the end I got an 18 Watt TMB head instead, but I think about that Traynor from time to time.

11. david henman

david henman Member

...the tubes are whatever was recommended by songbird - i can't remember. its my understanding that tube swaps are highly over-rated, unless the tubes you are using are pure crap. i think what i have i a combination of svetlana and jj tesla - i'll try to remember to check tonight.

the speaker is a celestion vintage 30. i would probably regret putting a different speaker in there.

the drive channel is adequate for backup. i've never been a big fan of drive channels except in very expensive amps. i use a tonebone trimode and hot british, as well as a barber tone press, and a ton of effects in the loop.

if i had the money, i'd send it to andy fuchs for his mods, just for fun!

-dh

12. doctorx

doctorx Member

I have two vintage Traynors, two YBA-1A's and a YGM-3 Guitarmate. The YBA-1A's are my main rig, I run them in stereo. Here is a pic. They are simple scorching when used for classic rock. I just put an Eminence Private Jack in my Guitarmate and it's got a real Marshall punch to it now.

13. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. I think I need to try a vintage 30 in there. I have the regular YCV40 so It came with a cheaper speaker. I think I have some JJs in the preamp. I emailed Andy a while back about doing a mod. At the time he hadn't done a YCV40. He told me to send him chassis measurements but never got around to it. I wish I would have now.

14. david henman

david henman Member

...he charges about a grand, i think.

you'll definitely benifit from a speaker swap, as the stock speaker is quite brittle, at least to my ears.

-dh

15. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

G12H30 Heritage went in my Guitarmate, and is a match made in heaven.

CT.[​IMG]

16. tdu

tdu Member

I owned a YCV-50blue, and I currently own a 1970 YBA-1 and a 1975 YGM-3.

Someone mentioned the reverb on the newer models, and I agree that it's lacking. It's definitely not a problem on the YGM-3 though.

While the new amps are well made, the YGM-3's are an incredible amp and you can still get them for pretty cheap. They are sort of like Traynor take on a Deluxe Reverb. The YBA-1's are basically a budget Marshall and sound fantastic. While both amps are starting to increase in value, you can still find either one for under $500. Both of mine combined cost under $600!

When it comes to the new Traynor, I think they blow away most other amps in the price range. There is a good variety in the models in the same price range as well (various tube configurations etc.).

17. vendo

vendo Member

I have a YCV50 Blue. When I went on my first real ampquest last summer, it was far and away the best bang for buck combo I could find, and I tried alot of them. You get a great array of features, loads of tonal variety and a great warranty. They're very well made so I doubt you'd ever need to hold them to the warranty. I've found some very usable tones stock but it takes pedals well too. One regret, I've never been able to open it right up. Its LOUD. MV helps alot. With some simple mods (tube swaps mostly) you can sweeten it up a little more too. There are loads of threads over at HC I've read before.

While its not as cool as the Rockerverb 50 I tried, or the Lonestar Special for that matter, it was an excellent buy for 1/3 the price. Try one if you can, its worth at least that.