Treble bleed cap/res networks...!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Seegs, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've been using a 680pf/22K ohm cap resistor bleed network on my volumn pot so that I don't lose highs when lowering the volumn and it seems to do the job...

I just recently tried a 1000pf/150K ohm network and I think I like it better as it seems to retain more of the highs...

Anyone care to comment on what they use and why??

Just wondering if my ears are playing tricks on me!!

And last but not least does using these TB networks alter the base sound of the pickups in anyway...??

Chow,
    Seegs

2. Seegs

Seegs Member

Thanks OTM...but how does that translate tonally??

Chow,
    Seegs

3. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Download my volume and tone circuit simulation spreadsheet: www.harryj.net/voltone.xls and see for yourself (just enter your values in "Bleed R" and "Bleed C").

As you can see, the 22k/680pF como is basically changing the taper of the pot and actually cutting more treble as you turn the volume down than if you didn't have the bleed circuit. Toggle the "Bleed" checkbox to see the difference. The reason is that the resistor value is too small and practically short-circuits the cap for the frequency range of interest.

The 150k/1000pF combo works as intended.

4. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Note that, as indicated in the Intro sheet, for this spreadsheet to work, you must install the "Analysis ToolPak" and "Analysis ToolPak - VBA" add-ins (in the Tools menu).

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

Thanks Carlos...but I could not find the Tools Menu to install ATP & ATP VGA

Chow,
    Seegs

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

You don't have a Tools menu in Excel? Which version do you have?

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

I found the toolbar but for some reason I can't load those functions...I have Microsoft Office Excel 2000...

Chow,
    Seegs

8. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

I'm sure this was available in Excel 2000 and long before that too...

Go to the "Tools" menu, select the "Add-Ins..." item (if it's not there, but there is a double arrow pointing down at the bottom of the menu, click on that arrow, this will expand the menu to include all items), then on the window that appears check the checkboxes for "Analysis-Toolpak" and "Analysis-Toolpak VBA", then click OK.

If this doesn't do the trick maybe search for Add-in in the Microsoft Excel Help.

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

Thanks Carlos...I'll give it another go...looks like a lot of great info. there...

Chow,
    Seegs