Treble bleed for LP A4 neck pickup

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
I know treble bleeds have been discussed to death here. I need something specific though and maybe y'all could help. I have a Burstbucker Pro neck pickup in my LP. I have put an A4 magnet in it & LOVE the tone. It does get a little woofy though when I roll the volume down. What I want is a treble bleed that would make the tone JUST SLIGHTLY brighter as I roll back the volume.

What have you found that does this?
Thanks!

Mark Robinson

Gold Supporting Member
Search YouTube for member David Collins of Ann Arbor guitars explanatory video on the subject. You'll get a few concrete suggestions and some visual and auditory examples. It is done well enough to make me want to try some myself.

Some volume pedals reduce volume without as much darkening, and a buffer before the volume pedal is good.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
what year LP? it might have the 300k volumes, in which case you might want to put 500k volumes in to improve overall clarity.

as for treble bleeds, think small, like .0003μF; larger values can sound harsh and "artificial" when you turn down.

first though, try "50s wiring", where you just move the cap connection on the volume pot from the clockwise lug to the center lug. that causes less loading from the tone pot when you turn the volume down, and might be all you need. (tradeoff being that the sweeps of the volume and tone pots start to interact, where they change depending on where the other is set.)

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
what year LP? it might have the 300k volumes, in which case you might want to put 500k volumes in to improve overall clarity.

as for treble bleeds, think small, like .0003μF; larger values can sound harsh and "artificial" when you turn down.

first though, try "50s wiring", where you just move the cap connection on the volume pot from the clockwise lug to the center lug. that causes less loading from the tone pot when you turn the volume down, and might be all you need. (tradeoff being that the sweeps of the volume and tone pots start to interact, where they change depending on where the other is set.)
It is a 2011 Studio, with the circuit board. (much maligned I know but it sounds great with the A4 magnet in the Burstbucker Pro). To change pots I would take out the whole circuit board. I have considered that and upgrading the whole harness, including 50s wiring. Do you know if the circuit board setup has 300 or 500K pots?
i did look through my stuff and had the cap and resistor to do the old Acme humbucker treble bleed (.001uF cap in parallel with 220K resistor). It actually works quite well with this neck pickup - just a tiny hair brighter when I turn down the volume, which I wanted for chord work.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Do you know if the circuit board setup has 300 or 500K pots?
it'll be 300k linear volumes. i've made a project of installing regular pots on that board, but you're better off just ditching it for all new 500k audio pots.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom