Treble bleed mods and P90s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Chrissy, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I have treble bleed mods on all my single coil and humbucker guitars (1000pF + 150 kom) and love the response of that combination. I have a Lollar Classic (SG style guitar) with Lollar P90s that I'm going back and forth on. P90s clean up just about the best of any type of pickup so I've tried it without - the bridge is fine without the mod (too jangly with on rolling off the voluume) but rolling off the neck pickup is loses just a bit too much piano type bass... However, the treble mod above is almost too pristine... :confused: I want more clarity than I have now, but I don't want to lose the woody thickness completely and end up with that "hi-fi fuzz face rolled back clean" if you see what I mean.

Any suggestions from those of you with P90s on what might work well on the neck pickup?

FYI I already have good electronics (RS kit for pots and Vit Q / Gudemann NOS caps - thanks toneneder!) so it's not an upgrade issue.

Thanks!

Chris

2. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

I have just received my new set of custom Lollar P90's. I had him wind the neck pick up 15% underwound. This is 5% more underwound than his stock pickup. He said that this would provide more of a Stratocaster neck p/u sound. I am not sure if this answers your question. I hope that this helps you.

-Mark

3. billstets

billstets Member

Does it have separate volume controls for each pickup, like a Gibson? If so, I would suggest doing "50s wiring" on the neck only. I did that to my two Gibsons, while I did the treble bleed mod to my strats.

4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

A treble bleed cap on my neck pickups is a standard "mod" for my guitars.

I use the tone control to balance things out, depending on the sound I'm going for.

5. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

P90nut - funnily enough I also have a 5% underwound that I tried in that guitar. I'm leaning towards the standard wind because it has a certain chunk to single notes that I love. Whilst the 5% underwound is definietly a bit leaner sounding with the volume full up, I didn't find it cleans up better than the standard one. The sound on

billstets - yes it has the 2 vol/ 2 tone gibson setup. It's already wired that way. I find 50s wiring is good for making the cleaned up sound clearer if the tone pot is rolled down a bit, but if the neck tone is on 10 then 50s wiring stil isn't *quite" as tight in the bass as I'd like...

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Chris

6. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

It's details I'm after :)

#1 - What value cap? Just a cap? Cap / resitor network?
    #2 - You are talking about P90 neck, right?

Thanks
    Chris

7. billstets

billstets Member

I didn't think it would have any effect if the volume is on 10, but I'm not a technician! I didn't notice any difference in my guitars when the pot is on 10. The only downside to 50s wiring that I've heard of is that the volume and tone become interactive.

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I use just a cap across the lugs of the volume- I'll check the values (I think .002 microfarad- just a guess)

Seymour Duncan 'Duncan Custom' P-90s.

Thank you for reminding me- I have to get a new volume pot for my Special! :)

9. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

My SE Soapbar II just has a .001 cap and I think it's great with the volume rolled back.

I prefer my Strats with a resistor and cap. I don't like the sound of the cap alone in those guitars.

So for me, cap alone works for P-90's.

10. DuncanNZ

DuncanNZ Member

Just thought I'd record my experience with a PRS with 2 x Lollar P90s in standard one master vol and master tone control format. I tried a simple treble bleed cap, as I use successfully on my tele, albeit with a differnt cap value. I tried 1000pf and then 1600pf. Both worked somewhat, by which I mean I could lower the volume a little (to about 8, maybe 7) with a fairly transparent tone. However subjective volume wasn't reducing much by then and if I went to 5 or 6, the tone became very tinny and basically unusable, for me.

So I changed the arrangement to simply add a 100k resistor in parallel with the 1600pf cap and bingo! Seems pretty transparent down to much attentuated volumes, more than the range I'd use in a tune from loudest to quietest. I'm happy with the result.

BTW, the Lollar P90s are the underwound/Sean Costello inspired ones and are great. A big improvement to my ears on the SDs that were standard I think.

11. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

The values make a big difference. Also putting the resistor and cap in parallel vs series can make a difference. If you really want to dial it in perfectly I would recommend plugging it into a breadboard so you can freely swap values with ease.