Treble-Bleed on a Stratocaster

Treble-Bleed Mod on a Master Volume

• Total voters

Ron Kirn

Vendor
I have installed treble bleed circuits in every Strat I build, for 20 or more years... I've used any circuit you care to mention at one time or another... I have never found any that resulted in an OMG!! change in the sound... they are always so subtle, one cannot help but wonder, what's the big deal...

Point being.. don't sweat it if ya don't have one, adding it is NOT gonna be a "punch in the nose" revelation . .

rk

Last edited:

Guppie

I can't live without one but I use a Germanium fuzz as my main drive. The bass cut I get from a treble bleed give a really bright spanky rhythm sound and a full fat wall of fuzz with the volume rolled up. I don't use any resistors I'm my treble bleed. It's just a cap straight across (0.1 nF I think but I forget). I my application the extra brightness isn't a problem.

valvestate

I have installed treble bleed circuits in every Strat I build, for 20 or more years... I've used any circuit you care to mention at one time or another... I have never found any that resulted in an OMG!! change in the sound... they are always so subtle, ons cannot help but wonder what's the big deal...

Point being.. don't sweat it if ya don't have one, adding it is NOT gonna be a "punch in the nose" revelation . .

rk

Thanks but the added dullness (muffle) is what I'm trying to eliminate when rolling off my volume knob especially in clean or light dirty sounds.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
A yes/no poll is faulty.
There are many values and diff. configurations of these things.

I've wired 'em into all my gtrs, some w/ different cap and resistor values.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
Search how they work. :)
Higher value caps [1000pf say] are brighter/harsher.

Here's just one starting point.
For Strats 250pf cap/220K resistor in parallel sounds pretty natural, like what Lindy Fralin recommends.

Ron Kirn

Vendor
I just need it simple..

that's a winning approach,,.. get ya one of the gizmos I mentioned that's available from AMAZON... run two wires from the points the volume pot where it connects... hook the bleeder circuit to the other ends and let is hang out of the guitar.. that way, you can play, then adjust the circuit until you find a setting you like.. then install it, and button the guitar up..

However, despite what you may have read, you will find the results very subtle across the spectrum the adjustable circuit allows.. it's just not a major change..

r

openbar

Silver Supporting Member
Recently just tried one of those Bournes pots that someone (can't remember) sells as a "fast" pot. Anyways, it does spin easier but I found it to have a better taper, much less mud so early than the stock CTS. Strange but true!

RBH

I have installed treble bleed circuits in every Strat I build, for 20 or more years... I've used any circuit you care to mention at one time or another... I have never found any that resulted in an OMG!! change in the sound... they are always so subtle, one cannot help but wonder, what's the big deal...

rk

Well obviously the big deal is people having imaginations that they're hearing things - supported by the internet where they get re-enforcement of that imagination coupled with a lot of other peoples imagination. /S get with the program.... man,,,,, sheesh

Dominik

Any fans of a treble bleed? Any Pros and Cons?
I'm a fan but it's nice to be able to switch it off so put it on a push-pull pot so you can disable it. For 30 years this has been a standard feature on the Ibanez JS line of guitars.

Volume swells for example sound better to me without a treble bleed and sometimes I like a warmer, more mellow sound with it off for jazz, comping chords, etc. I've got mine wired on by default so when I pull the pot it's off.

As for the "Variable Treble Bleed" that was mentioned keep in mind the capacitor value is not variable. Capacitors only cost a few cents so experiment with different values and as @cheapgtrs suggested you can always wire in a 250k or 500k trim pot as a variable resistor to help you dial in the right value.

My personal choice for a Strat is Chris Kinman's treble bleed — which has the capacitor in series with the resistor rather than parallel — and it's almost identical to what Andy Timmons is using. Double the resistor value for humbuckers/500k pots.

B9rQjsT.png

Warlag

The ones with the little trim pot on them are cool. I had one in a strat but sold it.. gonna put one in one of my other strats soon.

scr@tchy

I was a no treble bleed fuzz face user and guitar volume rolled back articulate cleans and semi cleans is where I play 95% of the time. One day I was playing my friends PRS that had a 180pf cap as a treble bleed into a modeling combo amp set for death metal sounds. I rolled back the guitar volume and got a usable, articulate, just breaking up sound that no on would bat an ear at at a blues jam. I realized if I used a treble bleed I would have a lot more options in distorted/overdriven sounds that I could clean up with my guitar volume instead of being chained to a fuzz that had to have a certain amp to achieve this perfect clean up. Which it did, pedals and amps that I normally couldn't have used my guitar volume to clean up because it would sound too dull were acting like my fuzzface. I'm still using 180pf cap and I love it, though I am going to experiment with different values. It was night and day difference.

JRuss1525

Definitely do it! You’ll never look back. My advice is to solder wires to the pot and alligator clips on the other end of the wires. This allows you to clip in different value caps/resistors and fine tune it to the set of pickups.
As someone mentioned above, I have different value treble bleeds In all my guitars. The higher the cap value, the brighter. The different resistor value will change the taper of the pot.
I usually start with a .001uf cap and a 150k resistor. If it is too bright drop the cap value to something like 800pf. Having a bunch of parts on hand and the ability to just clip them in for testing makes it very easy to find the right value.

I personally like installing buffers in my guitars more than using treble bleeds.. though it may not be for everyone.

Jake

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom