Treble Bleeds Do You Like Them, Why Or Why Not?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Simon, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I find that most guitars mush out when turning the volume down, and my ears don't like it.
    I have been putting treble bleeds on some of my guitar's and prefer them that way.
    Do You like them, or not, and why?

Javiceres and Da Geezer like this.
  2. Kelly

Kelly Member

I don't like them. I find (with my rig) that a short cable run to my first buffer, along with the right pickups, makes a treble bleed unnecessary.

3. TJT79

TJT79 Member

I think they help a lot if you use the guitar's Vol knob to clean up. Otherwise it darkens the tone as you turn down volume - this is simple physics which cables and pickups cannot avoid.

BUT... not in the stock configuration which comes on most guitars. Just putting a cap across the legs of the vol pot makes it shrill and horrible sounding on lower settings - too much treble is bypassing the pot.

After extensive trials with crocodile clips and lots of resistors, I prefer the Kinman Mod - look it up! There is a resistor in series with the cap - the resistor limits the amount of treble which is bypassing the pot.

The standard values are: a 0.001 uf cap in series with a 130k resistor across the two non-ground lugs of the volume pot. But this is for single coils - for humbuckers I have found that 220-240K resistors sounds much more natural. My tone is exactly the same now at any point in the volume sweep.

garage-s, sadhudude, bobotwt and 5 others like this.
  4. Otter359

Otter359 Supporting Member

Couldn't do without in my tele. I work the volume/tone knob quite a bit on that guitar in particular and it makes the volume knob usable for me. I don't like rolling off volume and losing high end.

Javiceres likes this.
  5. bdm

bdm Member

ive pretty much built the way I play around guitars with treble bleeds on the volumes. I don't really rely on channel switching or stompboxes so much. If I roll down my volume knob and the guitar gets dark and muddy I'm screwed. I can't do what I do.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  6. JamCave Studio

JamCave Studio Member

My HSS Strat has tricked out electronic harness by Obsidian.

Not only does it have high quality pots, wires, capacitors but it has treble bleed and blend knob options.

Treble Bleed is not for everyone, it's an acquired taste but I added it just so I can have more tonal combinations.

I'm able to fine tweak the tone which to me makes the guitar more versatile.

7. dansworld

dansworld Member

I use my volume knob to control the amount of level continually and the amount of treble (or should I say the degree with which it really bothers me) is totally dependent on the pickups.

I put a treble bleed mod on my Filtertron equipped guitars always. I only have modded a couple of my Strats because I actually like the bleed for the bridge pickup.

I keep all my humbucking and P90 guitars unmodified.

8. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Gotta have 'em. it does take a lot of experimenting to find just the rights cap/resistor values for each guitar.

Roe likes this.
  9. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Most of my guitars have them, for the same reasons that you list above.
    The trick is finding the correct combination of capacitor value and resistance for each individual guitar/pickup/pot combination

10. RJLII

RJLII Member

My Nocaster has one. It works great. I wish all my guitars had them.

11. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I have them on some of my humbucking guitars, but so far, I much prefer my single coils without them. And that's from someone who gets ALL my clean tones by rolling the volume knob down on an overdriven tone.

Having said that, I do think that it is possible I would like some treble bleed kit - it's just that I never found one I like yet. I particularly hate the way some of the kits get really, horribly bright just when the volume knob is almost off. I rely on the tone warming up at that point when you're right at the guitars quietest point.

Dr.Lee likes this.
  12. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Member

Moderation is the key for me. Like a lot of folks have said, it's important to take the time with component values. All the prepackaged kit values didn't work for my set up. Kept too much high end for me. 680pf cap and a resistor at half the value of the volume pot wired in parallel sounds pretty good for my ears. If you have the patience to play around with the values it can really pay off. Edited to add..I use single coils through a Twin or DRRI.

13. cam.man67

cam.man67 Member

I'm ambivalent. I have an HSS Strat with one in and it's great. But my HH Gibson scale guitars don't have a treble bleed and it doesn't bother me a bit.

14. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I tried it once, just to see what it was all about. I couldn't hear the difference in my high gain rig, and just barely heard a difference in a clean setting. And by different, it wasn't exactly better.

I say, if treble bleeds were all that, why haven't major manufacturers been installing them all along?

ferrinbonn likes this.
  15. fitz

fitz Member

I like a slight treble bleed, don't know the exact value but mu ASAT has it and it is a lot better than the standard Strat & Tele treble bleed I have on these which thin the tone out as I roll back the volume. A little bit of reduced table is what works for me.

16. THebert

THebert Member

I like the treble bleed cap and some manufacturers do use them. PRS has since the begining.

17. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

I tried them in my 335 and LP, and preferred the guitars without the treble bleed, even in situations where I needed to ride the volume pots a fair bit.

18. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

Some have. PRS, Suhr, Anderson among others.

Otter359 and smallbutmighty like this.
  19. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I like treble bleed caps that are so extreme the guitar actually sounds brighter when lowering the volume. Lets me get single coilish rhythm tones and fat lead tones from the same PUP.

20. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I don't like them - I like the way pickups tone fattens/changes when rolling the volume down.