Treble Booster and Silverface?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TeleManMeSelf, Jun 22, 2011.

1. TeleManMeSelf

TeleManMeSelf Member

Lately, I've been very interested in Rangemaster-type treble boosters. I've got a fender MIM telecaster and a Silverface Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp but all treble booster users I know of used British amps. Will my combo work out well with a treble booster? I also have a Fulltone OCD.

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Member

IMHO not a good idea at all, super bright amps don't do well usually. You might be able to set your amp up so it's dark but I'm still not positive it would be a good idea.

3. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Member

I'm not gonna get even close to as technical as the guys in the amps forum, but really the SF fenders are sooo similar to the BF fenders (I've owned several of each era) and when you consider how popular both treble boosters AND BF Fender circuits (original or boutique) are, the combination is unavoidable.

However, it is very helpful to have some tonal control so it's not too bright. I have the AnalogMan Beano and find the 'mid' switch essential. Running that treble boost into fenders sounds good to me so long as the amp is already pushing it's limits. And of course, one of my favorite uses of a TB is to goose another overdrive which is like turning the amp to "11" but with a manageable volume

So even though it won't sound great in every situation, a TB is often my most used tool live, even with SF fenders

4. capnrock

capnrock Member

I'm using a SF vibrolux and a Beano booster and I love it. I don't use the bright switch and I have my amp set semi-dark. I use an edge-of breakup clean tone and when I hit a chord hard with humbuckers, I can start to overdrive my amp. When I hit the amp with a beano (mid setting), it takes me into natural overdrive with the added coloration of the germanium transistors which I love. I think you could get some great tones out of your Musicmaster with a Beano.

5. TeleManMeSelf

TeleManMeSelf Member

Im still considering a treble booster but my musicmaster only has a volume and tone so I'm worried I cant EQ it for a good tone with the TB.

6. TeleManMeSelf

TeleManMeSelf Member

I think I might just get a compressor

7. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah a Vibrolux sounds killer with a TB, as does a Deluxe or a Princeton - I don't think I'd want to run one through something with more headroom than any of those though like a Super Reverb or a Twin.

Should sound pretty cool through a Musicamaster Bass I should think.

8. erksin

erksin Member

Treble Boosters and Compressors are pretty disparate boxes, not anywhere close to interchangable.

9. TeleManMeSelf

TeleManMeSelf Member

I know but Ive also been really getting into that Dire Straits kind of sound

10. shredtrash

shredtrash Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

You mentioned that you also have an OCD. Try running the treble booster into the OCD. Set up the OCD for your overdrive/distortion sound and hit the treble booster for leads. That should sound really good.

I agree with the others though about using the treble booster on its own into a Silverface Fender...probably won't sound too good.

11. loftyrocket

loftyrocket Member

I run my Sunlion through a 66 Bassman, and i love the treble boost side... i put the switch on low, and it sounds great.

12. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

This is what I was going to say. And the cool thing is since they both are pedals that will clean up with your guitar volume, when you run them together you will still have that ability. I was running two fuzzface style pedals together and it worked out really well, because they were working together I could keep them both a little tamed so that when they were both on it was a rage fest... but still cleaned up to pure clean because both pedals weren't having to work so hard incividually.

Once you find how you like to set them you should be able to take them to any amp and get them to work in the same fashion.

13. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

I've used a treble booster into a silverface twin, it's ok not great but not a deadly sin either.

15. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I haven't liked them through bf Fenders myself. But is the Musicmaster amp more like a Champ with a 12" speaker? If so it may work better with that kind of circuit. But I agree that it's a good idea to look for one with a selectable range.

16. TeleManMeSelf

TeleManMeSelf Member

What about a vintage EHX power booster? Still a booster but not possibly so trebly and harsh if I run it alone

17. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    Big +1 for using a treble booster through a dirt pedal. i like a treble booster best through a cranked amp, but when i can't crank my amp up for whatever reason, i'll only use a treble booster through a dirt pedal that's on and it sounds great...

18. Jckloo

Jckloo Member

If you like the Dire Straits sound, think about an Orange Squeezer compressor or one of it's variations, like the Analogman Orange Juicer. That will give you compression and a boost and, for me at least, works better through a Fender than a treble booster. I'm pretty sure Knopfler used an Orange Squeezer back in the day.