Treble booster fussy about fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kludge, Aug 20, 2019.

1. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

I went looking for an alternative dirty boost to go with my fuzzes, brought the Lunar Module along to try with, and wound up with a Moonshot treble booster. It loves the Lunar Module. But when I brought it home, I found out it doesn't get along with the Interstellar Overdriver. At all. Both sound choked and dull, and volume drops. It's good with the Disnortion and the Mammoth, terrible with the Acceleron fuzz.

So is this normal? Do treble boosters just love some fuzzes and hate others? I don't think the Moonshot is a terribly exotic design, as treble boosters go.

2. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Are you putting the treble boost after the fuzz?

3. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Are you running the TB before or after the fuzz?

The only fuzz I’ve ever used with a TB is a Fuzz Face (Sunface, usually), and FF>TB works great, for me.

My TB is a BYOC Tri-boost, on the rangemaster treble setting, btw.

Echomachine likes this.
  4. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, after. I might experiment with putting it before, but the Lunar Module seems to prefer it after (both ways sound really good, though).

5. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

If I were to stack treble boost and fuzz, I’d keep the boost after the fuzz. I’m surprised it’s dulling the sound, it should sound too thin if anything

indeedido likes this.
  6. desire machine

desire machine Member

I use a beano boost into fuzz all day. Beano works great with almost every fuzz I've tried*. Have also used a naga viper works similarly. No volume drops (volume increase yes), no loss of bottom end (at least not noticeable), just boosted top end.

*Only issue is something like Fuzz Factory which likes to go first doesn't work well w/ boost, since you can't stick TB before it.