Treble booster: I get it now

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mitch T, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

I tried several boosters, ranging from FET, IC and germanium to an up-to-full-spec Rangemaster clone. Never really 'got' the use of treble boosters. In my experience, they took away too much bass, leaving you with a thin tone. I didn't like germanium boosts as much as FETs because of their harmonic behaviour. At some points up the fretboard they were much louder than on other frequencies.

Now recently I got a BYOC TriBoost and put it in front of the Class5. Ah! That's it! You need a non-master amp that's turned up quite a bit and is (potentially) slightly woofy in it's overdrive. With enough overdrive in the amp itself, the treble booster simply functions as a gainy EQ. Great! I had a lovely lead tone on my neck pickup!
    I guess I was foolish enough to have tried them on channel switching amps or amps that weren't bass heavy and not in natural overdrive. Sorry, treble boosters, for not quite understanding you before :bonk

2. cacibi

cacibi Member

I think that was pretty much the original intent of the circuit, to restore treble to very overdrive Marshall amps back in the day.

My favorite use of the is to add treble to a neck pickup; I love the sound of a TB on the neck pickup of a Les Paul.

3. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

I'm well aware of the history, that's why I feel so stupid :D I tried trebleboosters quite a while ago on amps that were supposed to have Marshallstyle drive channels and never had any succes with them. It's been a while since I learned that channel switching amps very often claim to be like this or that, but never have the magic of a true single channel, non master volume classic amp. Or the interaction with pedals, for that matter!

4. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

Brian May delivers the perfect demo of this in the introductory "gear" section of his old Star Licks tape. First, he plays through the cranked Normal channel of his AC30 without the Treble Booster--yep, warm, woofy, kind of muddy just like you describe. Then he kicks on the treble booster, and bang, there's that great clear, chimey, but still incredible thick OD tone. It allows him to get more saturation and sustain, but at the same time more clarity.

5. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I was curious about this, so I went looking for that part of the Brian May video. Here it is. He talks about the treble booster starting at about 3:13 in:

6. markmantle

markmantle Member

Cool vid. I have also gotten great tones with my tri boost, which setting are you using for the range master section? I tend to favour the mid boost setting... You have me kicking myself even more for forgetting my tri boost on the other side of the world!

7. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Great video! Saw it a long while ago but still didn't realise how specific the use of treble boosters is!

@mark: I used mine on the Germanium setting 9most right), treble position (most left on the threeway) and the volume just past 12 o'clock. Was enough to kick the Class5 into a great leadtone!

8. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Boosters are about all I use sense switching back to Marshall's.
    Treble boosters in particular.

9. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

I have not tried the triboost but the BSM HS silicon and Analogman's Beano boost are really amazing as long as you have some drive already cooking in the tube amp. My fav boost (not exactly TB) is the BSM RPA Major but you need to be a R Blackmore lover to justify the 350$ pricetag

10. 0xeneye

0xeneye Supporting Member

I made my own Rangemaster with an OC44 and it solved a lot of problems with mud and clarity and sustain - but, yes, you have to have your amp near or at breakup.

11. Renardm

Renardm Member

I discovered the same thing as the original poster with my Class 5 and my Throbak Strange Master. It sounded too nasally on my JCM 800 on low volume.

12. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

ayep, voxes and some darker tweeds and browns benefit from a treble booster - like you said, it "wakes" an amp up in a cool way.

13. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

for single coils i find them PAINFUL. for humbuckers, i love them. but they require too much volume to function in any meaningful way to me. sure, the FULL range boosters are better but, i have tried to love treble boosters - and DO, but they are loud & uncompromising effects.

14. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

Maybe its just the settings at that point in time, but his tone at 3:40 (which is his stated reason for the treble booster in this video) is horrible. I can't really believe that he's normally getting such a muffled tone.

15. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

"Although these days we use digital delays". Haha. Love it.

16. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

I got offered a Germanium treble booster by Dazatronyx. Anyone familiar with that?

17. Sterling#Sound

Sterling#Sound Member

Yes treble boosters require a bit of know-how... expertly explained by the OP. Amps really only work well with tb's when they've been turned up 3/4 of the way. That's good enough for plexi/jtm45 type amps that still retain some cleans with the guitar volume backed off.

BTW I found that trebleboosters also work well on top of an amp's gain channel.

18. Chevyvan

Chevyvan Member

Had the AM Beano Boost, liked it .......but only on a certain sweet spot. I liked it on the neck pickup of my Les Paul through my Marshall SLP halfstack. I daisychained the treble and normal channels and set the volume of both channels on three so it would crunch on it's own.

One of the best sounds for leadguitar I ever had.

Nonetheless I could never use it since it was rediculously loud. I tried a PPIMV in that amp and also some attenuators like the Mass and THD. Tone changed too much and there was my Beano only gathering dust.

I also get what it can do with a 5 watt amp but I would never use a 5 watt amp since there is no headroom for what I like.