Treble Booster Suggestions for May Style Sounds with an AC30 TB Channel?

WillLane

Specific model is a C2 with a Blue in, Bright Cap clipped on TB channel. Guitar is a 72 RI Tele (Fender WRH). I realize it will not sound exactly like May's tones, I am just looking for similar milkshake-thick leads. I typically run my amp with a bit of breakup enhanced by a few pedals. Preferably if the Booster could handle the gain levels itself that would be fine, but I can goose it with a FD2.

I am leaning towards the BYOC version just because I have wanted to build a pedal for a while now. http://buildyourownclone.com/products/germaniumboost By "We've also added an internal trimpot so you can fine tune the bias of the transistor" means I can make it a little bit fuzzy, right? Budget is on the lower end of the $100 USD range if that is possible.

Any experience with the BYOC version? What other options are there?

Last edited:

CaprioM85

Either an Analogman Beano Boost or there is a Brian May signature Treble Booster out there, though I dare say I prefer the Analogman version by far.

I have the BYOC. I like it better than the Beano I had. It's very underrated. However, for use into the TB channel you're going to have unsatisfactory results. You need to use the normal channel with the master and channel volume high. You also need to be prepare to use the tone cut and guitar tone knob judiciously. I currently use an Arcane Analog treble booster and the tone/bass control is invaluable. I may check out the 65 Amps boost soon. I adore treble boosters, heh.

MoonshineMan

Whenever treble booster threads come up (and I never get sick of them!!) the Beano Boost and the Naga Viper quickly come to the front. As I understand it, the Beano is a direct clone with a few tiny improvements, like the mini switch, while the viper is a slightly tweaked circuit, with probably a little more flexibility.
I've had the Beano a few years and it's going nowhere. Ever. It's part of my holy trinity of dirt: Ge Fuzz face, Beano, compcut.
That's all she wrote.
As for May, it may, it may not.
But I think it may.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
Hard to beat the Analogman, Naga Viper was a great choice as well and I loved the ability to make it a flat boost. The Cornish TB's are quite excellent as well if you want to spend for them, the one I had wasn't as noisy as other treble
Boosters I've tried (it's an inherently noisy circuit).

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Brian has his mounted on his strapbefore his wireless transmitter. Probably not a better example of why it needs to be the first thing your pickups see in order to get out of it what he does.

MoonshineMan

Brian has his mounted on his strapbefore his wireless transmitter. Probably not a better example of why it needs to be the first thing your pickups see in order to get out of it what he does.

I had no idea! It definitely likes the first look, but will work amazing things with a Ge fuzz face as well. It seems there are quite a few effects that chase the pole position. Vibe, comp, some Fuzz, rangemaster, sometimes wah.
Geez.
It's all the best ones!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom