Treble Booster Users, ...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teleluvver, May 29, 2015.

1. teleluvver

teleluvver Supporting Member

...I'm an experienced, gigging guitarist but have no experience with treble boosters. I love the sound, and have narrowed my choices between the Catalinbread Naga Viper, the MJM Dallas Boost and the Plum Crazy Squawk. I'm looking for opinions on these three from guys that have tried one or all of them. Thanks again.

2. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

If you're an experienced live player, you'll already have the skills to make any of those sound good with a little tweaking. Regardless of which brand you choose, the biggest thing you need to remember about all treble boosters is that they are designed to drive an already distorting tube amp into more saturation and harmonics. Similarly, they can also function to drive another distortion pedal into more saturation and harmonics when both are put in front of a completely clean amp platform. They are NOT designed to act as a stand-alone distortion source.

Depending on the model, you may also find yourself needing to add in a small amount of bass @ 100Hz to counter the bass-cutting nature of a treble booster. However, as live players know well, you don't always need a lot of bass in your guitar signal because at stage volumes, it can often turn to mud. Mids are the key to cutting through in a band mix, and treble boosters excel at providing a lot of harmonic density in the mids/upper mids and treble.

FAC likes this.
  3. teleluvver

teleluvver Supporting Member

Right, but if one's a little noisier, or has reliability issues, or doesn't sound good with single coils, etc, etc, I'd rather know these things going in. That's why I asked guys who have tried them to educate me.

4. Rory_Rules

Rory_Rules Supporting Member

You might want to check out the Guitarsystems TrebleTool Jr . . .

It's a great TB!

5. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

i own the naga viper. this is my first experience with a treble booster. i quickly found out they dont work well with all amps.

the vaga is super tweakable so you can dial it in many ways but the traditional sound works great with marshally type amps but some amps its just harsh and tough to listen to.

once youve got it dialed in to have a pronounced effect on your amp its going to add noise. for my set ups when i minimized the noise i also was minimizing the effect.

of all the amps i played it through i enjoyed it most with my little marshall class5 head, the amp i play the least, lol. it brings it to life, adds much needed presence and gain that blend perfectly. sounds like garbage with my jet city head.

6. cugel

cugel Member

as was mentioned, they are only gonna sound good into a cranked tube amp. dont even thing of turning up the preamp gain, turning the SV down and using one with sucess. think iommi: cranked laneys, may: cranked voxes, blackmore: cranked marshalls and maybe a vox here and there. they can be magic. that said i dont currently own one.