Treble booster with bright amps?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DonaldDemon, Mar 17, 2015.

1. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I am quickly learning the Naga Viper doesn't gel as well with my bright amps (Splawn/Roccaforte). I'm starting to think of flipping it for some old Ge treble boost warmth because it can tear heads off. What would be a good TB pairing with a bright amp? I have a Fuzzfaceless TB w/ OC81 transistor that works great with my Splawn, maybe I should get another.

2. Bopcat

Bopcat Member

The AM Beano Boost has a 3 way toggle switch that lets you get more mids or mids & lows. I use it with Telecasters and Fender amps in the low setting. The Beano uses a Ge transistor.

3. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Yeah that one gets talked about a lot. His pedals are typically great. I would kind of prefer a range knob instead a preset though

4. steam-powered

steam-powered Member

Another vote for the Analogman Beano Boost. The only one that sounds great into bright or dark amps, depending on where you set the toggle.

5. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

6. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Doesn't the Naga Viper have a range knob? My guess is that it probably covers the same range that most other variable "treble boosts" do. TB pedals can sound really harsh into clean amps - you might try the Naga into a dirt pedal or fuzz pedal (or have the amp gain up into distortion) before you search for other TBs.

7. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

That one sounds like exactly what I may need, thanks. Now to try and find one at a used price.

Yes it does have the range knob but you can't change the amount of treble it let's through. It's also a Silicon transistor so a little more bright/raspy. I only use treble boosters (or any boosters) into dirty amps. See my OP, no clean channel on the amp.

8. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

if the naga isnt working no treble boost with significiantly less control over the range of frequencies being boosted or the amount of gain (all of the alternatives) will be an improvement. they will be much worse.

i think youre looking for an overdrive pedal.

9. Dr. Lo

Dr. Lo Supporting Member

I disagree. I own several treble boosters. The Naga lets in a lot of treble, more than others such as the Beano Boost, particularly when the BB is on its mid or full setting.

10. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Gotcha - I read "bright" as "clean" :)

Ge does tend to be a little woollier (is that a word?) so going Ge should help.

11. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Woolier, yes, I'm thinking I need a little more of that. I have plenty of overdrive, looking more for the fuzz lite quality of a TB. I'll have to try my Fuzzfaceless Ge clone with the Rocca, it's probably more in line with what will work for that amp. Funny how you need different TB pedals for each amp