Treble boosters and the bogner shiva?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dharkon8, Apr 25, 2015.

1. dharkon8

dharkon8 Member

Hi there,

I am awaiting the arrival of a bogner shiva amp and am interested in how my arc effects gamut might sound running into the dirty channel.
    Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Smashies

Smashies Supporting Member

What speaker(s) are you running the Shiva into?

Also, is this the Shiva running EL34s or 6L6s?

3. dharkon8

dharkon8 Member

I don't have the shiva yet, but initially it will be into a Marshall 4 x 12

4. thesauce

thesauce Member

I'd love to weigh in but I have an older shiva. Subscribed.

5. dharkon8

dharkon8 Member

The shiva will be an el34 version.

6. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

As with any other amp, put the treble booster in front of the amp's input with the amp's dirty channel already producing at least minimal breakup if not more.

7. Smashies

I can't describe what I think it will sound like beyond giving a description of what a treble booster generally does best, and what it's not so good at. I will say this: the EL34s, I would assume, will produce a more 'british' voiced sound, esp thru the 4x12 (still curious what speakers would be in the cab), than the 6L6s. That being said, if I'm not mistaken (and tell me if I am), the Shiva produces a more modern sounding flavor of gain. If that's the case, you'll get something different than your TB-welding heroes like Iommi (I use him as an example as I'd say a Bogner Shiva would sound closer to Iommi's rig than the Vox platforms of Gallagher or May). Even if that's the case, if your experience is anything like mine, you will have a hard time keeping yourself from smiling. I didn't get a TB pedal to sound like any other artist in particular, but the Beano Boost I got recently is hands down my favorite pedal I've had the pleasure of plugging into an already-cooking amp (though sometimes a run a relatively clean amp and put a klon KTR before it, with the TB before that; the KTR serves as the "cooking" part of the amp so to speak that the TB pushes).

When you get everything rigged up, I'd love to hear some demo / sound samples put up in the demo section of TGP (I'm sure you could post the samples to the pedal demo section and amp demo section, if it doesn't offend TGP policy).

8. dharkon8

dharkon8 Member

Thanks smashies,
    Awesome reply. Just what I was looking for.
    The amp is still a month away as I had to order it but am really looking forward to it arriving.
    Cheers

9. Smashies

No prob! Also, do the best you can to have the treble booster first in your chain. I recently tried a compressor before it and they didn't play well together. However, fuzz before TB works great. Analogman even makes the "Sun Lion" which is a sun face fuzz into a Beano boost in one unit. Since a TB pedal is sorta like a fuzz in that it uses a germanium transistor, buffers MUST be placed AFTER the TB pedal. Another thing, you'll love how a TB reacts to your volume knob more than ordinary drive pedals in that it cleans up in the nature of a fuzz pedal when you roll back the volume. The difference between 10 and 9 will be more dramatic than you'd expect, and in a very likable way.