Treble Boosters: Retroman Beano vs. Java Boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JKoeth, Mar 19, 2006.

1. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I used to have a Java Boost and absolutely loved the sound but it had considerable hiss when used with power supplies. With a battery it sounded great but it is a royal pain for me to unplug pedals as my stuff is so close together on my board. I might buy another if it weren't for the hiss issue.

Anyway, I was looking at the Retroman Beano and wondered how it compared sound wise. It is cheaper and seems to use similar components. It also has a "hiss buster" knob and a pull pot to disengage the battery.

Has anyone tried both?

2. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I don't know about the Beano, but I've tried the Java Boost and I chose a phoenix custom electronics Ranger instead. In my opinon, to my ears, it's a superior product to the Java Boost... It just rocks the socks off my amp.

PCE makes several different boosts via custom orders for $120. They have both Germanium and Silicon boosts. My Ranger is a germanium rangemaster clone with a bias knob, so it can be modified from a treble to a full boost and I've found that I use the pedals entire range.

3. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

neither, the FMD is the best handsdown. Check out my review at musict##$.com. They are hand made, point to point for 100 bucks and I know this is a market introductory price, so order it cheap while you can my friend

4. drolling

drolling Member

Jamie, I haven't tried the Beano, but I'll certainly give props to Joe Wolf at Retroman. My Sybil fuzz is quite capable of delivering an edgy treble boost at low settings - especially the germanium side. With the fuzz rolled off my guitar's volume pot acts like a tone control..

Being able to turn off the battery's really a cool feature. I wish all my pedals worked that way.

5. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

I've got the /13 DynaRanger. Cheaper than the Javaboost, tone control has 5 settings and the pedal is noise-free when used with a power-supply.

6. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

+1 on everything mentioned above on the DynaRanger - one of my desert island pedals without a doubt. Just killer tone with marshall and Vox style amps, and very versatile.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

8. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I've been through a lot of Treble Boosters to find the Holy Grail...for me my hunt finished when i bought the Cornish TB83 Extra. I've tried/owned the Retroman, Beano, Java, Derrangmaster, CrispyCream, Fryer, BSM, and probably a few i've forgotten about. Seriously...what clinched it for me is doing an a/b with Tonemans rangemaster which in itself is a mighty booster with the TB83. It was game over...difference was like day and night. If you can find one to try...do it:)

9. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Stress,

Can you post a pic of the Cornish? Are they even available?

Thanks!!

10. Stressfest

Here's the Cornish link...http://www.petecornish.co.uk/vintage.html

Have a look and see what you think...tonnes of info and drop Pete a line, takes his time to get back to you but a lovely helpful chap!! :AOK

He said to me that he's currently building them as i was toying with getting a TB83 to go with my Extra.

11. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

What about the 65 Amps one-anyone tried?

12. Stressfest

Haven't tried myself but apparently same 'tonally' as the Toneman...just a bit more scope to it.

13. threm

threm Member

14. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Stress,

A couple more questions about the Cornish. Does the Extra work as a stand alone Treble Booster? It looked as if it was meant to be used in conjunction with a regular TB. Where'd you pick one up and what was the damage?!

15. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

like I said, FMD, 100 bucks, awesome!

16. Exo-metal

Exo-metal Member

Do any of you play metal? What do these do for that type of sound and which one is best???

17. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

...Oh the Stephenson Amps FMD... :BEER

[​IMG]

It's now $125 on his site but if that's the shipped price not bad...
    I see that it's driven by JFETs, wouldn't it sound different than a germanium transistor based treble booster? The reviews are very positive...(dam* you :D )

18. bealtown

bealtown Member

Carcosa, Hali Lakeside Prefecture, Hyades
    FMD = Fix My Duck, in BC, Canada. Price is $169 now.

19. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I recently bought a Diamond Marquis, which provides a nice Germanium treble boost or a hybrid germanium+JFET full range boost. There is some hiss with the germ treble boost mode, but the hybrid mode is dead quiet (and lower gain). It's a nice pair of options to have on board. I have noticed no difference in behavior when run on battery power vs. a good center-negative power supply.