Treble boosters- which ones to buy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Smedley, May 4, 2020.

1. Timmay!

Timmay! Member

Nor would you use silicon. Silicone on the other hand...

:facepalm:facepalm

2. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

haha that was the joke. It was word play. Oh well, tough crowd lol. :p

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  3. cam0122

cam0122 Member

I have several oD pedals on my board. So that Naga would not be an isolated pedal.

In general, I've read that treble boosters should be placed immediately after the guitar in the signal chain. Is this true?

Does the BBE Bohemian have germanium transistors?

I've read where treble boosters with germanium transistors don't interact well with fuzz pedals and wah-wahs. Are there any other issues with germanium transistors?

Thanks again.

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  4. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

They should all go first or after another traditional fuzz. But it's the circuit, not the material in the tranny. The only downside to germanium is the possibility of temperature sensitivity, which might not even be a problem for you.

I just go on sound. Silicon is stronger sounding and responds well to fuzz circuit bias and resonance effects. Stronger sounding trannies have certain advantages in a fuzz. Silicon also has a certain crispy crunch to it that is nice. It's tight and neat yet gainier.

But germanium sounds warmer and smoother with a bit better cleanup.

So both Si and Ge are very cool to have in different circuits.

Junco Partner, HeavyCream and cam0122 like this.
  5. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

The R2R Electric Treble Boosters are my favorite.

6. 74princeton

74princeton Member

Read up? Why don't you just offer a simple expanation?

7. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I sure can. A treble booster is more of a fuzz-like effect that acts mostly on the treble range. Usually made with a germanium transistor in the circuit and they got a very unique sound and feel to them.

8. Elmusico

Elmusico Member

The Keeley Time Machine has a Java boost and Katana in one enclosure, if you're looking for a clean boost as well.

9. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

+1, but you have to be quick when they go up for sale cause they sell FAST!!

JumpinBradFlash and Echoplexi like this.
  10. Jimpage

Jimpage Member

So, you’re interested enough to suggest someone use a ge-7 for a treble booster, but not interested enough to read up on what a treble booster actually is?

11. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson is Tio's favorite Silver Supporting Member

I would never confuse Clapton's tone on the Beano album as coming from an EQ pedal, nor Iommi's nor DP-era Blackmore's

12. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

You got that right. I nabbed my pedal as soon as he posted the heads up, but for my amp top unit I think I asked him ahead of time to be on the next batch.

They are really special imo and a great guy, super nice

13. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

Agreed. But, I wouldn’t confuse Clapton’s tone on Beano as coming from a Treble Booster either.

BlueHeaven likes this.
  14. modernp

modernp Member

I got mine from arcane analog. Really a great representation of the Dallas Range master but a floor unit.

Arcane Analog likes this.
  15. TREBLE B00STER

TREBLE B00STER Member

BEARFOOT Effects had a trio of treble boosters, each with a different flavor, one warm one, one for hot lead tones, etc... I purchased one of those and it's my forever pedal. Whenever I use it others definitely like what it does. I don't think Bearfoot Fx is in business now. They were a branch of BJF pedals and also Mad Professor pedals. Years ago One highly hyped pedal by Bearfoot Fx was the "Honey Bee."

16. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

:facepalm With all due respect, when you enter a thread and give advice on a particular piece of equipment it is assumed you know what it actually is that your giving advice about.

17. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

I've started ignoring these people so I read that comment and just skipped over it. It isn't worth the time anymore. Every treble booster thread has a "that's stupid money, just use an eq" person in it. I've noted the majority of people in the Effects Forum now understand what a treble booster is and does so I just stay on topic now because dealing with these people always derails a thread on one of my favorite effects.

18. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Hey guys...a question. Does your favorite tb pedal still hiss when you roll your guitar volume down? I really love my Naga Viper (A LOT!) for smokin leads, etc but when I dial back the volume on the guitar the hiss that was masked by the volume at RAWK levels is now noticeable at lower levels. I can turn the guitar off and the hiss is very noticeable, turn up slightly and it's a little less prominent, and then up full everything is raging so you don't really notice. There is the same level of hiss at any guitar volume level...so during the quieter parts (with NV on) the hiss is more noticeable.

HeavyCream likes this.
  19. 74princeton

74princeton Member

I'll plead guilty to joining a thread with a suggestion that revealed that I was not appreciating the nuances of the question.
    In the reading I've been doing on the subject, which amounts to listening to YouTube these days, I didn't hear any actual explanation of what it actually does other than boost leads. I gave up after about an hour. This has been an education nonetheless...

20. rolsen

rolsen Member

Had the HBE Germania but it had that cocked-wha sound no matter what. That and it didn't play nice with power supply and other pedals. Currently loving the Naga Viper, but I'm no purist.

Anyone use much of the 'heat' control on their Naga? This just adds distortion. I seem to keep it all the way down, and use the pedal to boost a dirty amp, shave lows with the Range control. Maybe I should play with the Heat control a little more?