Treble boosters- which ones to buy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Smedley, May 4, 2020.

1. Feverdog

Feverdog Member

For what it’s worth, I used the NV at 18v, range at 1, heat at 11, and boost at noon, first in the chain and never on its own into a clean amp. After plenty of trial and error this was the set-up providing the least amount of compression, congestion, gain/mud stuff that comes w/stacking drives. But this gave just the sweetest definition to leads, solos, single note stuff. I think with TB boosters, like fuzzes, you take all the advice from everybody and try everything and just keep experimenting b/c when they’re not working TB’s are awful, honky messes. But in the right set-up, they are like nothing else. I used a few different Germanias and yeah they are finicky.

2. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

Another vote for the Naga Viper, I haven't had the noise issues others have mentioned and I run it in a fairly high-gain setup (JCM800 cranked) with no noise reduction, gates, etc. It's easy to get and easy to sell if you don't like it. I have a GE TB as well (Diamond MRQ-1) and it's awesome but a different feel, more "fuzzy" and vintage compared to the NV, I love both of them and they ain't goin' anywhere! They will be joined by a Beano Boost and a D.A.M. Red Rooster at some point...

3. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

I have two Ge TB’s. When I roll the guitar volume way down they hiss. I can roll it down to the 6-8 range to clean it up and there’s some noise but not enough to bug me. If I have a ton of gain after the TB, I can roll the guitar volume way down to 3 or so and sill have a good rock tone. The guitar volume is cutting bass more than cleaning up the signal at that point. It’s a little noisy then too but not unbearable. If there’s not much gain after the TB, the hiss is more noticeable and the lower I set the guitar volume the more hiss there is. If it’s dead clean at 2-3, it’s way too noisy.

Im going off memory here but I know what you’re talking about. It is typical of the circuit FWIU. I can’t remember if it is better/worse with HB’s vs SC’s. I feel like using a battery instead of 9v adapter made it a little better but don’t quote me on that.

BlueHeaven and jimijimmyjeffy like this.
  4. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

a "treble boost" is not a treble boost.

It is a high pass filter that boosts everything but the lower bass responsible for mud and boom. But the misleading name causes an ever renewing population that spreads faulty info about them.

They cut some bass. They boost everything else.

They add a little breakup with a single transistor. Just one because you should get some distortion from the amp.

That is all they do. Still, some people will INSIST they boost treble, and start arguments over it. One of them even made my ignore list, lol. They are not a mid boost either. They are an "everything but low bass" boost.

5. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Supporting Member

Contact John Lyons at Basic Audio and as for his version called the “Goose”. Killer.

gravy and chankgeez like this.
  6. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

7. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

The ones I like: Swart Atomic Boost, Flynn Hawk RG model, Arcane Analog Skullmaster, BSM RG model.

Arcane Analog likes this.
  8. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

Just to add a couple things to what the others have posted...
    Like @jimijimmyjeffy pointed out, they cut out the bottom and the rest is amplified by a transistor, typically germanium. I think they also take a bit of high treble off the top too iirc. Anyhow, one of the characteristics that makes them unique is the way they interact with the guitar controls. As you turn down the guitar volume, it cuts more and more lows/low mids as well as cleaning up. Typically, I’ll roll it back just enough so it’s still raw and dirty but not as nasally. That’s one sweet spot.

In a way, a Treble Booster has a lot in common with a Fuzz Face. They both react to guitar volume/impedance in a similar way and are both rig/player dependent. Naturally a FF has more dirt/fuzz on tap and is a much fatter, woolier sound. The TB fattens the mids/top end. The dirt you get from a Ge TB is thick, warm and has a lot of character. It sounds organic, old school and raw. Kind of fuzzy. Nothing with an opamp and/or diodes sounds like a TB. At its core, it’s a preamp with a Ge transistor designed to push an amp that’s breaking up into saturation without getting muddy or boomy.

This might be one of the last times I post this so soak it up boys and girls.

blackba, BearBryan and Echoplexi like this.
  9. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I don’t notice extra hiss with my Treble Boosters when the guitar volume is backed off. In fact, one of my favorite things about it is it makes my clean tone extra sparkly with the volume down to 2-3.

HeavyCream likes this.
  10. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

This seems to really be transistor dependent which makes a lot of sense considering the simpleness of the circuit. It's also weird that I've noticed it more with the "high mojo" european transistors than some the lesser known ones. The more obscure transistors that analogman uses as the standard option and that Mike Fuller is putting in non OC75 rangers seem to have less hiss.

HeavyCream likes this.
  11. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Thanks!

12. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

I was going off memory so decided to test them both last night. One was dead quiet, the other was pretty noisy the way I described. Except I forgot a couple things. The hiss gets lower the lower I set the guitar vol and disappears around 2 but with the guitar vol off, it’s loud. I was using a PS so I switched to a battery, almost dead quite. Very little hiss. I could swear they both had some hiss, not crazy but there. It could of had something to do with the way I was powering them, I recently moved so my old house could of been partially to blame or it was another pedal making it more noticeable. I used to alway stack it with Distortron before I could crank amps, I noticed a TB into Distortron can get noisy last night. Either way, I’m not sure why I didn’t really notice lately but by TBs are much more quite than I remember. FWIW, the one that’s noisy with 9v adapter has a black glass OC75 and was last on the PS daisy chain, first in FX chain. It’s a BYOC and man does it sound great.

jimijimmyjeffy and Echoplexi like this.
  13. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Different houses definitely can have more/less noise. I’ve never tried my TBs with a power supply, only batteries.

They, like fuzzes, can take the right setup and a learning curve to get the most out of them, but easily my favorite pedals for driven sounds.

HeavyCream and jimijimmyjeffy like this.
  14. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Either way. The less amp gain, the more pedal gain for me often. Great thing about the Naga is it's different pedals to different people at different times.