Treble cut wiring?

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 2 pickup guitar with one tone knob. I want the tone knob to only control the bridge pickup, but the neck pickup has too much treble coming through on its own. What wiring mod could I do to cut out some of the upper frequencies?

Last edited:

StratoCraig

Short of putting in a second tone knob, it sounds like you basically want to hard-wire in a specific tone setting, so basically you want a tone circuit that has a resistor (instead of a pot) and a capacitor (the same as the cap wired to your tone pot) in series, going to ground. The question is what value of resistor to use. If you want the neck pickup to always sound like it did with the tone knob on 10, then use the same value of resistor as your tone pot. Otherwise, you may need to experiment.

The other question is how to wire this tone circuit in. That depends on what your current wiring is like. What kind of guitar is it?

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
Short of putting in a second tone knob, it sounds like you basically want to hard-wire in a specific tone setting, so basically you want a tone circuit that has a resistor (instead of a pot) and a capacitor (the same as the cap wired to your tone pot) in series, going to ground. The question is what value of resistor to use. If you want the neck pickup to always sound like it did with the tone knob on 10, then use the same value of resistor as your tone pot. Otherwise, you may need to experiment.

The other question is how to wire this tone circuit in. That depends on what your current wiring is like. What kind of guitar is it?

The hardwired tone setting is exactly what I'm going for. It's a Veritas Portlander with 50's strat pickups in a humbucker housing from McNelly. View media item 4003 (The McNelly pickups aren't shown here, but you get the idea.)

I probably want it rolled back to what would be 8-9 on a tone pot. so I would be increasing the resistor value a bit for that? Any idea what kind of values I should be looking at? Thanks!

StratoCraig

No, you'd lower the resistor value. When you turn down a pot, you're lowering its resistance.

If the tone pot is 250k (typical Strat tone pot), then you might try maybe a 180k or 200k resistor.

That guitar looks like it has master volume/master tone and a three-way Les Paul-style switch, so I would guess the wiring is set up so that both pickups go to the switch, and whatever gets past the switch goes to the volume and tone controls. If that's how it's set up, then since you want the tone control to only affect the bridge... I suppose you could rearrange it so that the neck pickup goes to its hard-wired tone resistor and cap, and the bridge pickup straight to the tone knob, and then both go to the switch, and whatever gets past the switch goes to the volume control. Alternatively, if you could replace the switch with a three-position Strat-style switch, you could wire it like a Strat without a neck pickup tone knob.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom