Trem arm broke in block - what now?

Ronsonic

Start with a pointy probe and try to reach in and unscrew it.

Does the hole go all the way through the block - if so use an appropriate size drill to go in and drive it out. You aren't trying to drill a hole in it, just using the drill bit to unscrew it.

I can't imagine anyone succeeding with an EZout that doesn't already have machine tools.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
the piece seems too small for EZ-outs; if you're skilled with a dremel, you can take a little ball-grinder bit and carve a flat-blade screwdriver slot in the arm remnant; sometimes the vibration from the dremeling will work the piece loose anyway.

wannabebum

A screw extractor is probably the easiest. A normal EZ-Out is probably a little overkill. I have used Grabits for things like this before (but not this exact application) and they worked very well. I could see a reverse drill bit working just as well.

woof*

A screw extractor is probably the easiest. A normal EZ-Out is probably a little overkill. I have used Grabits for things like this before (but not this exact application) and they worked very well. I could see a reverse drill bit working just as well.

When I said "easy out" I meant the term generically. Last time I broke one off, a machinist friend lent me a small tool that worked. I don't know the name of it, and didn't know easy out-the brand- didn't come that small.

Kyle B

Here's a non-invasive suggestion.....

Remove the tremelo, stick it in the freezer for a couple hours. Different metals expand at different rates. Steel expands much less than zinc (likely candidate for the material your block is made of). The hole will get bigger than then rod, and may become very easy to get out.

If that doesn't work, you could also try the opposite --- Heat it up in the oven.

Maybe even alternate between the two. Lots of fasteners come loose all by themselves due to thermal cycling.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom