Trem backplates...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gravity, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Gravity

Gravity Member

Why do people remove them? When I bought my G&L legacy, it had the backplate removed, and I figured it had just been lost, so I had another one fabricated for me. But since then I've seen plenty of people with no backplates, and some guitars that were just built with that cavity wide open (and nicely finished)...

So whats the deal? What's the gain in removing the plate??? I'm so confused! :)

2. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Some people like to adjust and re-adjust the trem springs. Sometimes even if you only change the brand of strings, and not the guage, the trem springs will need a slight adjustment. Keeping the plate off is more of a convenience factor than anything.

3. theelectic

theelectic Guest

I would put mine back on, but I can only find two of the little screws that hold it in. It's a bit of a PITA because my belt nudges the springs sometimes and I get a reverby "piiiing" sound.

4. HHB

HHB Member

I dont like the tone as much when they are on, last time I posted that I got blasted, but for me, thats why

5. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I keep mine off because the trem block doesn't line up with the little holes in the backplate if you take all the strings off, which I always do when I change them. The only downside for me is if I play shirtless my belly hair gets stuck in the springs and that smarts!! :crazy

6. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

LOL!

I took mine off due to my changing tastes in the bridge angle on my guitar. I misplaced it and since then it's been off.

I sometimes suffer the same fate as Brion. :crazy

7. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I think the only gain is to keep the edges of the cavity from scruffing up dress shirts - I've shredded a few nice shirts before their time by having them rubbed raw in the spot right behind the cavity.

It is easier to change the strings in many (probably most) cases.

HHB - I haven't noticed any tone difference w/ the backplate on a Strat, but I DO notice that my Tele sounds different with the pick-guard off than it does with it on (when I'm adjusting the neck p/u height) - I believe you. I'm gonna check on my guitars too. All guitars are different - mine may not react the same way your's does, but that doesn't mean it's not true in your case. Or mine. Each guitar is it's own ... well, guitar.

It pays too keep your ears open, and it pays not to be too dogmatic and absolute with this stuff. HHB's Strat sounds better with the backguard off, my Tele sounds better with the pickguard off, your's .... well, All of our mileage will certainly vary, especially in these admittedly small details.

Dana

8. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Off for access and quicker adjustments.

9. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

On to make it sound more stratty - its a reverb tank back there. Though subtle, closed sounds better to my ear - I like the sound of the springs.

10. HHB

HHB Member

this is what I'm hearing and am avoiding w/ the removal of the plate

11. DanR

DanR Member

With the bridge set flush to the body, the string holes on my backplate no longer line up to where I can change strings with the backplate on. On a gig, I just can't live with that. So, off the backplate stays.

12. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Least esoteric reason here:

I prefer the way my guitar feels against my body with the plate removed. Nothing mystical!!

- T