Trem Block & Bridge : Callaham vs DeTemple

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bismark, Jan 24, 2008.

1. bismark

bismark Member

I intend to replace the bridge and zinc block in my MIJ Fender '62 RI strat (which I love) with something new. I'm considering either Callaham trem assembly or DeTemple titanium ones. The latter is almost three times the price of the former.

1. Which is better for tonal improvements, and is the contrast between the two huge? Is the titanium really worth that kind of price?

2. I'm undecided on changing the stock saddles because I like the stamped Fender logo for aesthetic reason. Will the Callaham or DeTemple saddles make a marked improvement in sound quality?

Thanks.

2. ricoh

ricoh Member

The Callaham trem block will be an improvement. The stuff they sell is really nicely made. I have a DeTemple with the T saddles but I never had steel ones so I can't say what the difference would be. The T stuff is $$$$$ for sure!!!!!!!!

3. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

"Tonal improvements" That's a tricky one... Differences yes, what is an improvement to some, can be less than to others.
    I checked out aluminum when that was the flavor of the month and found it to be excessively bright for my tastes... go figure
    I do however use and prefer steel blocks

HJ

4. alderbody

alderbody Member

I have Callaham stuff in all my Strats or Strat-likes and i am really satisfied with them.

A couple were built with the Callahams, but two were upgraded and the tonal difference/improvement was quite evident.
    In my case, i call it IMPROVEMENT because i really dig the result.

Now, regarding the Steel vs Titanium "battle", it has to do with the ability of each material to transfer the vibrations within its mass.

To get more technical, it's about the Density and the Modulus of Elasticity of the materials.

The greater the Density, the slower the transmission of vibrations and,
    the greater the Modulus of Elasticity, the faster the transmission.

Steel's both Density and Modulus Of Elasticity are greater than Titanium's, so go figure...

Titanium hardware is described by some as being too "bright"...
    Can't say for sure; never tried it, but i don't think i would ever buy such a thing because ....i don't like Titanium. :D

5. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

Callaham is worth it.

Fender used to make trems that quality. No longer tho.

-ZP

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I've never tried either, but just use the steel Fender one. Lots of people say even the Callaham made their guitar even brighter, and more clear and spanky. That can be a good or bad thing depending on what you're guitar sounds like now. Some said it was too much. On most strats, I think they're bright enough.

7. KLB

KLB Member

The EJ trem is of comparable quality to the Callaham.

8. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

I'm interested in this as well. Do any of you who have tried both cold-rolled steel and titanium trem blocks find the difference very noticeable?

And if you were to buy another bridge for a new guitar, would you go with titanium block or save the money and buy a Callaham bridge assembly instead?

9. meterman

meterman Member

Titanium seems like the new graphite...stick with the tried and true IMHO....

10. Kelly

Kelly Member

Stock EJ is a regular vintage Fender trem with paint removed from the block.

11. RadackGuitars

RadackGuitars Supporting Member

I'd get the whole Callaham assembly, not just the block.
    The saddles contain many improvements,
    read up about it on the website.
    It's a beautifully machined bridge.

12. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Why do they paint the block anyway? noise RF?

13. LReese

LReese Member

Corrosion resistance.

FWIW - Suhr offers the Fender Vintage trem as an option - though slightly reworked. Paint removal, slight enlargement of the mounting holes/redoing the bevels. I'd think if you are set up for it - labor to get things right are minimal. Bead blasting the block and underside of the bridge, a little truing and fixing the mounting holes.

IMO, the only advantage to the Callaham is the Derlin insert. Don't get me wrong - its primo quality, doesn't need to be reworked.

I wished there was a good option for a 2-1/16 spaced bridge (Gotoh 510 is possible if you want to modify the route - I don't). I understand Gotoh's GE-101TS is almost on par to Callaham, though normal Vintage Spacing.

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

No it's not. The block has shallow drilled holes, like the Callaham.