• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Trem Block, what did you change to?

TheGrooveking

I am looking into a few different trem blocks for a few strat style guitars and was wondering what your experience with this has been. I've been looking at the DeTemple Titanium and also a few brands of steel blocks. What did you guys have and change to and what happened to your tone?

TheGrooveking

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Going from pot metal to steel makes a big difference...notes have more oomph behind them. Going from brand X steel to brand Y steel made little to no difference to my ears...however, the shallow drilled Callaham does sound better to my ears than a deep drilled Fender (more metal=more oomph?). Never tried titanium or brass.

Mullet Kingdom

I changed a zinc block to a Callaham steel block and it made as much difference as a new set of pickups does.

I tried a brass block on a friend's guitar and that was *really* cool! Wish I could find one for my guitar.

A friend of mine, who's a total gear-head, put a titanium block in his strat and he didn't like it at all. He went back to the zinc block he'd been using previously until he got a steel block -- which he was much happier with.

I haven't tried a titanium block so I can't comment, but based on all I've read and heard on the subject -- it's a waste of money.

aidan7737

I made the zinc to steel change (Callaham) about a year ago and suspect that VaughnC hit the nail on the head. Just a bit more oomph to the strat sound (not in a muscular or overpowering way, just "how it should be")

pennylink

I made the zinc to steel change (Callaham) about a year ago and suspect that VaughnC hit the nail on the head. Just a bit more oomph to the strat sound (not in a muscular or overpowering way, just "how it should be")
Same here. Much improved sustain too.

adamzappa

I put an All Parts steel block in my strat. I dont know if its as good as a Callaham but its much cheaper and it made my strat sound MUCH better.

fastburn430

Callaham Steel block for me. It made a big difference in making the guitar ring like a bell. Highly recommended.

Trending Topics