Trem comparable to Swamp Thang

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by madscientist, Feb 18, 2009.

1. madscientist

madscientist Member

I really like the sound clips I've heard from the Swamp Thang (monster effects), but none of the dealers have any in stock. I tried contacting the builder, but have not gotten any response. Can anyone suggest a trem that is similar?

Thanks in advance!

2. mprvise

mprvise Member

Though not exactly like the Swamp Thang, the sine wave on the (now very expensive) Vibutron gets pretty darn close. I have two boards and the Swamp Thang is on one, the Vibutron on the other. My two favorite trems of the dozen or so I've owned or tried.

3. madscientist

madscientist Member

\

Yeah, I would have considered the Vibutron, but at this latest price point. What about the Fuchs Creme de la trem? Any thoughts?

4. mprvise

mprvise Member

5. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

It's a clone of the diaz tremodillo, you might as well buy the original.

6. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Mike: To clarify, of-course you mean the Swamp Thang, not the Crem' de la Trem...which is a clone of nothing... :)

7. madscientist

madscientist Member

Then I'd have to worry about what kind of buffers they use and that nonsense. I'll consider that though. Thanks for the advice!

:AOK

8. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

yes, I was replying to the 1st post, sorry for the confusion.

9. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

The MojoHand SugarBaby is close, as is the MelloYellow, but neither go as slow as Swamp Thang can. Same goes for the Bluebird/BYOC. If the Bluebird went just a little slower, I'd buy one as a backup to my Swamp Thang.

The only other trems I've owned that could go slow enuff, and could compare to ST, are the Wiggler, which I sold due to EHXs notorious noise/buzz/hum problems they NEVER cure, and the Guyatone Flip, which is an AWESOME trem. I'm Actually thinking of picking up another FLIP, it was that good. I'm doing some research trying to find out if the tube in the FLIP is used to creat a bias-vary trem, which is what the ST is modeled after. No reply yet from Godlyke.

WOW... my 1000th post....

10. madscientist

madscientist Member

I'm not really worried about the speed as much, more the warm trem that it gives.

The sugar baby is interesting, especially at that price.

11. saggybottom

saggybottom Member

Area 51 is developing a brown trem tube unit.

Here is a quote from his company;

A number of new projects happening for 2008 here at Area 51. First of all, I've decided to discontinue the BMT60 add-on tremolo unit. That's the bad news: The good news is that I've been working on a replacement. The replacement is in the form of an all-tube tremolo pedal, which is based on the legendary 3-tube tremolo found in some of the brownface Fender amps of the early/mid 60's.. Fact is, the first time I played through the prototype of the pedal, it was a pretty easy decision to discontinue the old tremolo. This one just simply has it beat. Even our non-musical friends and family who visited us over the holidays were going "ooh" and "wow" when they heard it. If you would like to be informed of the latest developments regarding the release of this new pedal, click here to let us know.

12. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

The new Diaz pedal is noisy and is not like the smaller box Swamp Thang. Not sure why but the big boxes sound different too. They are rare pedals because the builder stop making them. They were the best brown face based trem sounding pedal available. Narrow range but big throbbing vintage amp like tremolo. I had two sold one and, as far as I know, that player still has his. I owned the Vibutron and it wasn't as chewy or deep sounding; sounded like a pedal. The Swamp Thang sounds like an amp. The internal build quality is dubious but the tone is huge and the exterior shell is durable. I stopped searching after the Swamp Thang so there very well may be a good or better alternative but I did not find it in the Vibutron, Voodoo Labs, Fulltone or current production Diaz. Again, the range is narrow and it behaves like a vintage tremolo tone from the early 60's, so if you require more range then it's not going to make you happy.

13. madscientist

madscientist Member

I contacted them a couple of days ago when I first started looking to pick one up, no response yet.

Sometimes, there seems like there's too many choices out there:
    Fuchs Creme de la trem
    Tonefreak Mello Tremo
    Mojo Hand Sugar Baby

I'm getting a headache trying to decide.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  14. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

15. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

I've been reading this thread and you are missing a choice...

my fav the supa-trem...

16. saggybottom

saggybottom Member

My fav is;

The Clark
    Wateree ™
    Reverb and Tremolo unit. Lush over the top reverb. Reverb features Dwell, Mix, and Tone controls. This unit features slight gain boost through the unit. Tremolo built to capture the great tones from the Vox AC15 and AC30 and the fantastic Fender Brown Face era amps. Comes in a black tolex cabinet with silver grill / black grill cloth.

17. madscientist

madscientist Member

Fulltone is always an option.

18. jayn

jayn Member

If you get lucky, a Bennett Tejas Trem may come up for sale here. There were only~15, so they are rare, but I think they were all sold to folks here. Used they are usually under $100 and they have that fat, deep trem sound. But, you won't be buying mine...:)

19. mprvise

mprvise Member

I have one of those. IMO it does not compare to the Swamp Thang (or the sine wave on the Vibutron) - not nearly as amp like.

However, it is a cool trem, and has more boost on tap than some boosts I own!