Trem help PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluesbreaker59, Jul 26, 2006.

1. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

Okay, so I'm after an old school sounding trem. Like the Brown Fenders, also like what you'd hear a guy like Bo Ramsey use. I'm sure Bo probably is getting his from a small old combo, but I'm not sure. I like the throbbing thing too, and like to work it into a greasy, slow groove. Something also that will work well with overdrives.

If it helps, my setup is a Vicky Double Deluxe, with a FD2, Hotcake, Danecho, and a Boss Tu-2. Guitars are Heritage 535, Heritage 150CM, and Tele, all with 50's style low output pickups.

Style would be like trashy rock, some blues, classic rock, you know that sort of stuff, maybe some alt country too.

2. mprvise

mprvise Member

Monster Effects Swamp Thang is what you're after. Got mine at Tonefactor.com.

3. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I've got on of these and always liked the sound of it...

http://www.guyatone.com/flip/vt-x.html

It's got the old school vibe going. Has two outs so you can do the stereo thing if you want.

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I really like my Keeley modded TR2. It is very smooth and fat. It can do the sine or square wave thing too. He also installs and inside/outisde knob where the depth knob is. The outisde is a volume control that can boost quite a bit if needed and the inside is the depth control.
    I use this trem with all of my amps, even my BF's with trem onboard. I like that I can control the output volume and make sure it matches my signal.

5. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

+1 on the Keeley TR2

Sounds amazing...full tone...can't do the Fender trem well, hard chop well, but I've found the most magically tones inbetween on the Wave knob.

6. bluesbreaker59

Which one has the most "amp like" response? I want something that sounds pretty natural. From searches, it seems like the big ones are:

Fulltone Supa-trem
    Demeter Tremulator
    Redwitch Pentavocal
    Swamp Thing
    Voodoo Labs Tremolo

7. mprvise

mprvise Member

I've played a Supa-Trem and I would not consider it "amp like". The Swamp Thang does it for me, but it is not that versatile. I've played a Voodoo Labs and it was okay, but have not played the others on your list. The other I was looking at was the Guyatone Flip - it's all over Greg V's CD and sounds great. The Redwitch was not out when I got my Swamp Thang. If I ever get another trem it will be the Toneczar Powerglide ($$$).

8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

Fulltone - not amplike
    Tremulator - have never head, but they do make amps too!
    Pentavocal - I don't think Red Witch does anything that sounds vintage, which is a compliment...they all have a new twist, again never heard
    Swamp Thing - VERY amplike, but, and I hate saying this, not reliable, IMO - I had one, foolishly sold it, got another and it almost sounded like a different pedal, way different taper with both pots than on the first one I owned, maybe if you could play it first?
    VL - friend has one, had it quite a while, cheap but it sounds pretty good, not boutique-ly lush, but works well for him, especially live

9. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

10. valcotone

valcotone Supporting Member

Auralux King Trem - no kidding! I like it better than everything I've tried including the Demeter, Fulltone, Austone, and a couple of others. Really swampy thick trem tones that doesn't mess with your original guitar tone too much.

11. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I've had:
    The Diaz, Fulltone, Boss, Dunlop, PE, Demeter, Auralux, Austone and others. Sold them.

I also have a Vicky Double Deluxe, so we may hear things alike. The best trem for my money (in a pedal) is the Frantone Vibutron. VERY amplike, and will do three modes--smooth, in between and hard chop. A friggin' great pedal that is built well.

My favorite trem is my Vicky Reverbarato, and no pedal gets that sound. When I need to use a pedal, the Frantone is it!

12. bluesbreaker59

Anyone have experience with running a Swamp Thang with a Tweed type amp? I kinda have it narrowed down to that, the Fulltone, and the Voodoo Labs. The Fulltone I heard someone else use the other night, and it sounded nice through his rig, with a full band. But he was using an Allen Old Flame, so quite a bit different than my amp. The trem I miss the most, is from my old 1962 Fender Super, that was FABULOUS!!! Very swampy sounding, yet somehow subtle. Every brown amp and old Gibson amp, I've always loved the trem in. The Blackface trem to me sounds cold, and kinda dull.

13. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I'll add that I thought the Fulltone supatrem was versatile, but the coldest trem I've ever owned. Regarding the brown trem----find a used Victoria Reverbarato and get that unique trem sound plus stellar reverb. No pedal really gets this sound and feel.

14. theelectic

theelectic Guest

The Supa-Trem is a tweaked up Tremulator, they sound very similar.

15. bluesbreaker59

I'd love a Reverbarato, but two things prohibit that:

1. Cost, they're like $1500, that's more than my amps or guitars cost me
    2. Hauling it, I try to keep my rig fairly simple to haul, and that would be like adding a small amp to it.

Don't get me wrong I love that thing, I've played on a couple, and they were VERY NICE. But just a bit impractical for my needs.