Trem junkies: Small footprint faves?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rinnytin, Jan 21, 2015.

1. rinnytin

rinnytin Member

building a lightweight pedaltrain mini rig for rehearsals etc. is there an MXR size (or smaller) box that sounds similar to the Fulltone supa trem? Don't need bells and whistles. Have the Suhr jack rabbit in there now but not loving it. Thx in advance.

2. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

An original Catalinbread Semaphor if you can find one used. One of the best-sounding trems ever made, IMO. And also a very small footprint and a ton of cool features.

3. Doctor X

Doctor X Member

the tremolessence is quite tall but mxr size length and width, also with top mounted jacks and power supply.
    triangle/square with a shape knob for rampy variations, and tone control.
    sound quality is as good as it gets

4. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

Swamp Thang or Old School VFE

5. rinnytin

rinnytin Member

Had the original swamp thang and loved it didn't know he was building in a smaller enclosure thanks for the tip.

6. hugbot

hugbot Member

Demeter tremulator or its mooer clone?

7. mediabuyout

mediabuyout Supporting Member

zvex sonar has a very small footprint and is a reasonably versatile trem

8. andrew moxom

andrew moxom Member

Minnesota - lived here since 1993. Prior to that,
    Mooer Trelicoptor works fine for me. No troubles so far.

9. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I have the original Catalinbread Valcoder. It's a wonderfully stuttery tremolo

10. 9520575

9520575 Member

What don't you like about the Jack Rabbit?
    Its a pretty stellar small foot print tremolo. I'm a tremolo junky for sure, but if you don't need bells and whistles I find that tremolo is tremolo (for the most part). A tremolo shouldn't do anything to your tone, and most of them don't. What do you find lacking?

A danoelctro tuna melt compares very well to the Diamond Tremolo's "shark fin" and sqaure wave modes. I really love that little tremolo. The boss TR-2 has you covered too. Both those small tremolos are great.

The demeter tremolo is another small footprint. Plus the Supa Trem is a clone of the Demeter (with some minor variations) if you like the Supa Trem. You will like the Demeter for sure. To add on to that, the Joyo Tremolo is another clone of the Demeter, although it isn't as well executed. If you need cheap: Joyo. If you need reasonable and high quality: Demeter.

One I would not recommend is a Diaz Tremodilllo (and the Swamp Thang, as it is a clone of the tremodillo). Its neat, but really different than most. And it does not work like a traditional tremolo at all. It has a duty cycle control, instead of the depth control. Its the least amp like of the bunch

11. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

For a lot of features in a small box, it's really tough to beat the Tremolessence. Amazing sounding trem with a lot of tweaking options.

For simplicity, my favourite is the Basic Audio Throbby. It's actually my favourite trem pedal out there. Love it. Super warm sound, easy to use. Very natural sound.

The Boss TR2 is great too, standard trem. Not as inspiring to me as the others, but it gets the job done.

12. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

This literally JUST got teased.
    Looks like it does some other slightly whack **** too.

13. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

What Empros said!

Sounds great, looks great and doesn't take up much space. I never considered myself a trem freak, but after playing the Throbby, I should rethink that. I've got one on its way to me...highly recommended! :aok

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Belcat/Rogue/Washburn (lots of different labels) builds a true bypass TR2 clone you can find for less than $50. If you want something a bit better sounding the Catalinbread Paradoilia is the Blond Fender trem in a box, really good sounding although it won't get "choppy".

15. monty

monty Member

I really like mine too.

16. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

Ding ding ding. The op wants something that sounds like the Supatrem -- well, the Supatrem is a Demeter copy with some stuff added. The Joyo is ALSO a clone of the Demeter I think, so that's one more option. It sounds good but it needed an external volume, because different depth settings resulted in different levels of output.

But I agree with others on the Tremolescence if you have the extra couple of millimeters. If you can't find your tremolo in that box, it likely doesn't exist. Plus a soft switch, expression control ... arg, so good.

17. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

the tremolessence is quite tall but mxr size length and width, also with top mounted jacks and power supply.
    triangle/square with a shape knob for rampy variations, and tone control.
    sound quality is as good as it gets
    [​IMG]

Completely ditto this.

18. 9520575

9520575 Member

Jinx

19. ufo~

ufo~ Member

Demeter all day long.

20. rinnytin

rinnytin Member

OK thanks everybody, appreciate the input.