Trem vs. Stoptail Bridge?

P90s

If you NEVER used the tremolo arm, would you still get a guitar with a trem bridge, or would you go stoptail? Why or why not? Several guitars I like come with the option of either bridge. What effect does each bridge have on the sound of the guitar?

Dave Wakely

I think different trems have different effects - I love the very subtle inbuilt spring reverb of a Strat trem, and the slight warble when you play hard on a Strat with low spring tension, but a Bigsby is entirely different.

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
It's more apple and oranges than "vs". Each has its own thing going. I like the solid grit of a hardtail. But a trem Strat can't be beat either. Get one of each, that's what I did.

Mr. Mukuzi O

i have three guiatrs with Floyds and they all react differently to playing dynamics. everyone needs at least one hard tail though

shane8

I'd go stop tail.

if you have a floating trem or 1 that'll make the other strings go sharp if you bust a string then it's not worth it

strats tho have very few hardtail models so a firmly decked trem is a reasonable alt

jetydosa

Having owned multiple of the same model hardtail and trem, Id go trem even if I didnt use the bar. They just add some sort of dimension that I dont hear on the hardtail.

dazco

trem give a softer, less direct and powerful attack. Hardtails have better snap and clarity and power behind the note. In general i like hard tails more but I've used trem equipped strats most of my life. Today tho i mostly play hardtails like a tele or LP. By the way, i usually DO deck my trems yet still hear that difference, tho not as much as when floating.

Trending Topics