Trembucker vs. Humbucker

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tone, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys,
    What are your thoughts on using a trembucker vs. a regular spaced humbucker in a strat? I'll be using an american standard two point trem. Will the regular spacing be fine, or does it need to be a trembucker spacing? Are there noticeable tonal differences? I'm getting ready to order from the duncan custom shop, and wanted to make sure I get the right one. I was also thinking that I might want to try it out in a non trem guitar as well, so I was leaning towards the regular spaced.:RoCkIn :AOK

2. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Never seen/used one in a Strat, but I had a Trembucker in the bridge position of a Hamer Studio (standard string spacing). Sounded great (high output certainly) and didn't suffer at all from being used with the standard string spacing.

3. Tone

Tone Member

Tonedaddy,
    thanks for the info!:JAM

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I tend to agree, but given a choice I take f-spaced pups for f-type guitar necks.

5. bailnout

bailnout Member

I went through a phase where I was looking for the ultimate pups for my Carvin DC127 with a Wilkinson bridge. It has the same string spacing as a Fender Strat so I was looking for "F" spaced pickups. A lot of times I would find a deal on a regular spaced pickup that was a type that I wanted to check out so I would get it thinking if I liked it, I would search out for an "F" spaced model. Most of the time I couldn't tell the difference between the two but when I did, it would seem the "F" spaced version was just a shade darker with just the slightest bit less punch. Not enough difference to make me turn down an "F" spaced pickup that I liked, but it made me think the humbuckers that have Gibson spacing might be better.

Just for the record, a Fender hardtail has the same spacing as a Fender with a trem bar.

I know a guy that uses the actual Duncan Trembucker model pickup in all of his Les Paul style guitars and he swears by them just for the shear tone of them (plus I think he secrectly thinks they "look" cool). So +1 to that.

I don't know if this is what you meant or not, but the neck doesn't exactly dictate the string spacing, the bridge plays a bigger part in that. Plus, not to be confused, I think the whole concept of the "F" spacing really only applys to bridge pickups. If you put a "G" spaced pickup in the neck possition of a Fender, the pole actually line up under the strings pretty well. Again, not sure if that's what you meant.

So, Tone, the bottom line is this... if it sounds good it is good. Pickups are so easy to swap in and out of a guitar that is top loaded with a pick guard, have some fun and try everything under the sun! Throw the rule book out the window and go on a "tone" quest!!! :)

6. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Aren't some of the non-historic Gibsons come with pups that are slightly wider than normal PAFs?

I'm pretty sure the 490r/498t set is almost "F" spaced at the bridge, does anyone know the exact measurement?

:D

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I have an original Trembucker in a hardtail F guitar and it is kind of harsh and middish- best for OD, not clean.
    And I did mean F spaced strings vs F necks:jo

8. Tone

Tone Member

How far off were the strings over the pole pieces when you had the standard spaced installed?

9. Tone

Tone Member

bailnout,
    great post! Thanks! I wish I could do it the way you mention:

"So, Tone, the bottom line is this... if it sounds good it is good. Pickups are so easy to swap in and out of a guitar that is top loaded with a pick guard, have some fun and try everything under the sun! Throw the rule book out the window and go on a "tone" quest!!! :)"

But, I was going to order an EVH from the duncan custom shop to try, so I did'nt want to make a $160 mistake. :D

10. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

All strings are above a pole piece to some degree, just not centered. The high E is out the most, it runs above the edge of the pole piece.

Click this link and open the two dimension links and you can see that there is not that much difference between them

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/humbuckersdescr.shtml#59153Model

11. Tone

Tone Member

ChrisB, thanks!

Anyone else have opinions on this issue?:JAM

12. Tone

Tone Member