tremelo alla Gov't Mule

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mario, Dec 3, 2005.

1. mario

mario Member

Saw Gov't Mule last Thursday in Toronto. Great show! Just wondering if anybody knows what kind of tremelo or modulation pedals Warren Haynes uses. I would like to buy one.

2. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

His trem is Custom Audio Electronics-Bob Bradshaw. The unit is rack mounted. Info is available on the CAE website as they make Warrens pedal boards/amp switchers.

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

For what it's worth, I have a CAE supertrem and it doesn't sound much like WH. When I saw Gov't Mule, there was a second tremolo somewhere in his rig but I couldn't make out what it was but half the tremolo sounds were happening when the CAE lights were off.

4. mario

mario Member

Thanks for the replys guys. Can you recommend a pedal that would get close to it?

5. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Guyatone/Flip tube trem is the second I believe

6. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I saw them a couple times years back when Woody was alive, God bless him, at the TLA in Philly. He had a Diaz Texas Tremodillo on his board then. Used a Hughes and Kettner Tube Rotosphere too. Its a small venue and I got to see his board so know he used them back then. In later years they have gotten more popular playing larger venues and I haven't been as close, so I don't know what he is using these days. Great band one of my favorites. I do miss Woody though!

7. tbone666

tbone666 Member

saw them in denver summer of '95 at the Ogden theater. there was about 100 people max, we all just lined up against the stage watched it happen. they promoted it a couple days before at the allman's show's at redrocks. at the time i couldn't believe that the place wasn't packed - and looking back i wish i could enjoy them like that again.

also had tickets to see them at the gothic theater in denver and low and behold, woody dies two days before.

-RIP WOODY!!!!!

:dude

8. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

I had the opportunity to talk to Warren and his tech this summer. I got a tour of the rig.

The true tremolo sounds you hear are the the CAE trem. Warren also uses a H&K Rotosphere in both the fast and slow settings. You may be confusing this with tremolo.

Warren used to have a Guytone Funky Box, but not the trem.

Cesar Diaz told me once that Warren used his Tremodillo, but that was maybe in 96 or 97. Warren does use a Texs Ranger now.

Here's the breakout of Warrens rig as of this Summer when I was shown it:

Guitar - EB Vol - Crybaby - Fuzz Face (Warren told me he hasn't used it for 2 years) - EMMA Discombobulator - Texas Ranger - Klon - Boss OC-2 - Chandler Delay - CAE Trem - Rotosphere - then out to the amps. Warren never uses the amps at the same time. The Diaz is for clean, and the Soldano for overdrive. Everything is controlled by a custom Bradshaw system.

Warren and his Tech Farmer, are both very generous guys. It was great hanging out with them.

Hamilton

9. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for that info. It confirmed a few things that I was already thinking. The flip box was purple, so it'd have been the filter. There was a fuzz face in his rack when I saw him also.

I don't suppose they went into specifics about the way the super trem was connected. I noticed a small plain metal box in his rack next to the super trem. I was thinking it was a custom blender box to mix the tremolo and direct outs but I could be way off.

From what I understand, CAE is only making 25 more.

10. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

i think you are probably hearing the rotosphere and thinking its a trem.

11. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I was thinking the same thing. What particular song are you referring to mario?

12. mario

mario Member

It was not a particular song(a few beers that night). But I have listened to bootlegs and it does have a Leslie-like feel to them. Again, much thanks for all the responses!

13. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Do not forget that he has a leslie as part of his rig as well. Saw him in September here in Belgium and he even had his leslie with him here and I'm pretty sure he uses that A LOT.

14. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

Actually that Leslie you see behind Warren is from the keyboard player. It's a monitor for Warren. For some reason Warren doesn't use real Leslie's. He's used "simulators" for many years. A Korg, and now the Rotosphere.

Hamilton

15. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Mmm that´s weird because I´d swear I saw them rotating at different speeds at times. One fast, the other slow. I guess I´ll have to look into the Rotosphere because if that is what he uses, it sounds damn good.

16. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

Yes, all of the Leslie sounds you hear Warren play live, are from the Rotosphere. He uses the MK I model, and works the breaker switch quite a bit.

I bought a Rotosphere specifically because I loved Warren's sound. Now if I could only play half as good as him!

Hamilton

17. lpengineer

lpengineer Member

Thanks for the info Hamilton! I am a huge WH's fan, I believe he's an excellent guitarist (although you are starting to see mention of him). I saw him a small theater here in Buffalo....they rocked the house pretty good.

18. john b

john b Supporting Member

I bought a Rotosphere a few years back, inspired by both Warren and Charlie Hunter. Both their pinky toes play better than I ever will but I've never become board of this pedal. It has a huge range of sound and is really fun to use. It is the most realistic Leslie sound I've heard besides an actual cabinet. Well worth the $.

19. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I have an old '63 Leslie 120 cabinet that I use. It sounds great with the E-H POG into a compressor. Warren gets a great sound with whatever simulator (Korg or Rotosphere) he was using when I saw Government Mule a few years back. It was after Allen Woody died. Great show, with a bassist friend playing as tribute. The Leslie sounds were great, he does work the ramp feature a lot, which is essential to "playing" the Leslie rather than just playing through it. I am trying to find a switch that tapping with the heel on the floor repeatedly, sometimes rapidly, is more comfortable with. The near-constant control of what the Leslie is doing is not something I do with a stomping motion. I had been interested in one of these pedals until I just found an 8-ohm amp-less Leslie 120 cabinet that I could just run an amp into for $300 (plus it looks cool and like a smaller Leslie and is only like 75 lbs. One person can lift and carry it relatively easily). I want to get a heavy duty case for it if I'm going to use it (which I want to), probably will cost more than the Leslie, but I'm game. There is a tremolo pedal now by some boutique guy that has two speeds like a Leslie that can be switched between. Not sure if there is a transitional speeding up or slowing down like a Leslie or a simulator, but it's a cool idea. I think I want the Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser, which does some of the swell-type tremolo and a uni-vibe type sound. Plus, it's stereo so I can use it to split my signal between the dirtier guitar sound and the cleaner, compressed sound with less attack that goes to the POD-> Walco Chord & Note Sustainer into the Champ II then through the Leslie. For apparent reasons, I don't need a phaser/trem pedal that can cop a Leslie really well, but the versatility and quality seem great plus I have a really good way to integrate it. Plus the Deluxe Memory Man steals the signal for the independent echo, so the echo can ring out over the chopped main signal.

20. dougb415

dougb415 Member

That's what I was thinking too. Warren uses that quite a bit.