Tremelo setup

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Steven_nl, May 26, 2008.

1. Steven_nl

Steven_nl Member

Hi guys

I have a strat with a Flod Rose (no Lock nut)
    Untill now it was setup in a way that the tremelo rests on the body. I wanted to experiment a bit and make it floating. The instrument sounded a bit dull and I thought it might do the tone some good.
    Saw a nice video where Carl Verheyen advises to make the springs a bit tighter on the b strong side (most tension).

Unfortunatly the tremelo doesn't seem to come back in the same position.(diferenet if you pull up or push down). Leaving hte guitar out of tune. Yoy can correct by gently guiding the tremelo back in the right position So it's not realy out of tune but the teremelo doesn't come back to the same spot.

Any helpfull tips?

Thanks

Steven

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I need a picture of the head and more info.
    The Carl Verhayen trem set up tips are nonsense ,as much as I like him as a player.

3. Steven_nl

Steven_nl Member

4. reeced

reeced Member

You say you don't have a locking nut, but do you have locking tuners ?
    If you don't, then it's a bit harder, but not impossible, to maintain a trem in equilibrium. If you've got conventional tuners make sure you don't have too much string i.e. overlapping, on the posts.
    Next check that the nut isn't binding - set your trem up to rest on the body, as it was. Play an open string and, as it's ringing, press on it very gently between the nut and the tuner - if the note doesn't rise, then the string is binding, and you'll need to widen (file) or lubricate (pencil rubbed in the slot) that nut slot. Repeat for all strings.
    Next check the knife edges on the trem to make sure they are not blunted or damaged.
    I wouldn't advise having the springs at different tensions. Diving or pulling up would apply uneven tension/relaxation across the bridge.

5. Steven_nl

Steven_nl Member

Yeah I do have locking tuners

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

For a start the string tree is a problem . Is that a graph-tech nut? many others are just black plastic , if not fit one to be sure.
    Other end now.
    The trem looks very close to the pickgaurd . dose it clear everything in use? even the slightest contact will do it .
    The posts need to be checked for ware ,as do the knife edges .Is that a Schaller FR or a Schaller copy ? if it is the latter there are a lot of issues with them and you would be better swapping it for a Gotoh.

7. Steven_nl

Steven_nl Member

Hi

yeah I did some filing on the pickguard allready. I thought that was the problem. It's a real Schaller and the new type studs.
    It's a while ago that I had the guitar made. Not quite sure what kind of nut it is. Porbably standard Warmoth. I'll check.I don't have any porbs when the trem rests on the body.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

if nudging the bar down leaves things flat, and nudging the bar up leaves things sharp, then either the bridge is rubbing in the cavity somewhere, the posts are not the exact right distance apart, or the pivot point is bad, either the posts or the knife edges.

a good test is to push the bar down with your finger and let it go (a la brad gillis or joe satriani). it should "flutter" or "trill", as the bridge vibrates back and forth on its frictionless knife edges. if it just bounces back up to where it was without the flutter, something's wrong.

9. Steven_nl

Steven_nl Member

Great tips guys! Thanks a lot