Tremelos........... sigh

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, May 7, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I tried a few trems, all sounded GREAT into a clean channel....but factor in an OD or distortion and it disappears..... which TREM will work sweetly with a signal clean or dirty????????????? I know the boss trem will... what else?Semaphore??

2. Dave

Dave Member

There shouldn't be much difference from one pedal to another as far as how well they work with distortion. The key is to have the tremolo after the distortion, i.e. after your dirt pedals or in the amp's effects loop if it has one.

3. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

Dave, I had to disagree. I've tried some trems that have disappeared even when placed behind a high-gain distortion or fuzz. I would recommend the Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe (pricey, but an incredible unit) or the Mad Professor Yellow Tremolo (still expensive, but more reasonable than the Mayer VV). A Keeley-modded Boss TR-2 might work for you, too, but I can't vouch for them, as I've never played one. A friend of mine has one, though, and is very happy with it.

4. bestegw

bestegw Member

It kinda depends on the possible depth of the tremolo. Do you want to go for a machine gun stutter of for that slight sweet wave. Last thing is difficult by nature of the effect. You'd just have to go for a higher depth-setting and the effect should return. I know my Voodoo Lab Tremolo does...

My best friend and I've also just built an optical tremolo that adds possibilities to further shape the sine-wave to your liking. This also gets you more radically effected sounds, which hold up better with dirt boxes.

Which pedals have you tried so far???

5. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe...cover all the bases in one hit :D

6. Ghostman574

Ghostman574 Member

I dig my supa-trem by fulltone.

7. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

I've gone through six or seven tremolos, none have really inspired me enough to keep. I think my favorites were Keeley TR-2 and Cusack TAW. I sold both with in a year. I think the tremolo search has been just as frustrating as my fuzz search.

8. blood5150

blood5150 Member

the new seymour duncan shapeshifter is pretty cool....

[​IMG]

9. Cary Chilton

Dave, many sine wave tremelo pedals pedals don't work at all well with a distortion or OD in front of it. The TR-2 is used by Tom Morello extensively for machine gun effects, cool. I also want it to work clean and in between -if that makes sense.

10. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I've been around the block on Tremolo pedals. I still prefer amplifier tremolo to an outboard unit (unless we are talking Victoria's fantastic tremolo)
    The 2 pedals that I like best are probably some of the least desirable.
    1) Line 6 MM4 - Not strictly a tremolo pedal, but all of the tremolo patches sounded very nice to me. The MM4 will collapse a bit if you feed it too much signal though.
    2) BYOC Trem - Just bought one here on TGP. It is a fantastic tremolo at a dirt cheap price, and it works very well with a distorted sound.

11. Phil M

Phil M Member

I dunno, I agree with Dave. It works after distortion, but gets washed out when it's before a bunch of gain. It does depend on how much drive we're talking about though.

12. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

+1

I love mine.

jeffhef

13. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

cusack tapawhirl! Trust me!

14. guildchild

guildchild Member

+1 on this. although mine is popping when i hit the on/off switch lately. the benefit of having things in time is great.

this is probably my favorite trem (and first successful pedal build). really smooth.

15. jdsapp1

jdsapp1 Member

i'm really liking my supa-trem, although the tap-a-whirl is pretty sick too.3

16. Cary Chilton

no love for the semaphore?

17. derek2615

derek2615 Member

The Semaphore was just too small for me. It was too easy to hit the knobs accidentally. The Frantone Vibutron has been on my board for a long time. It's simple and sounds great. I have quit looking at trems after getting Vibutron.

18. WILLIEKENDRICK

WILLIEKENDRICK Supporting Member

Cary, with higher gain settings, I normally just roll my guitar's volume back and it does WONDERS.
    Currently Tremulating with a Bruce Bennett "TEJAS TREM" clone... ;) Diggin' it!

[​IMG]

19. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

20. Dave

Dave Member

Alright, I stand corrected. I didn't mean to spread misinformation, my apologies to the OP. I was just basing my comment on my own experience.

This is part of why I enjoy these forums, I learn new things. :)