Tremol-no's shipped during the break

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fuzzdawg, May 13, 2006.

1. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i got my tremol-no last week. i love it! my strat is a hardtail, now! i tested before and after and found an average of 5 seconds increase in sustain. i like it a lot. i'm going to get one for my other guitar.

www.tremol-no.com

www.allparts.com

(search for "Tremol-no" at allparts)

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I had reviewed mine here; dunno if it was lost or not.

In short, I freaking LOVE the Tremol-No. Works as advertised and made a fantastic guitar even better. Running my Melancon Custom Artist as a Hard tail now and DIGGING it.

3. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Damn I've got mine on the way through a mass order with a bunch of guys in my country...your post only makes me want mine right now!;)

Can't wait to hear how it sounds in my guitars.

4. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i put one in my '92 hamer centaura (floyd) last week. works exactly like it is supposed to and very reasonably priced.

5. Kevan

Kevan Member

Awesome! Thanks folks!
    I'm glad you guys are diggin' on it. We've got a great new forum over on the site, so if you have questions, ideas, or just want to post pics of you with your T-No, you're welcome over there. There's no "pub" section, sorry. The good news is that it's loading up with information and tips quickly, and provides almost instant access for AllParts and I to get issues resolved quickly.

Don't worry; I'll still be a regular here. Hmmm...that sounded kinda like a threat. LOL

BluePowder- I saw the thread about the group buy. I know about your order and they will get it to you ASAFP. Have fun with it!

6. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

I Put 2 in this morning for one of my clients, great product. Two thumbs up from somebody very critical!!!!
    Evan

7. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I just installed mine this morning. It's soooo good to have a virtual stoptail option on my strat!!! Yes!!!

Some feedback, Kevan. I found it very hard to get the action so smooth that the device is 'invisible'. I really couldn't eliminate all the friction, despite a lot of time, care, and a long personal history of tinkering and building things. It's acceptable, but not perfect. Second, you really should include little allen wrenches in the pack. Third, the instructions seemed to imply that there is a crimp-on terminal end for the ground wire, to be secured with the screw on the claw block. If that's the case, there certainly wasn't one in my pack. I just bent the wire and secured it with the screw. Not as elegant as having a terminal end, but it should suffice. I think, if I were the instruction writer, that I would have explained a few things differently. It's not as clear as it could be and I'd be concerned that a player with, uh, more limited reading/comprehension abilities might find it challenging. All that said, I love the product and am thrilled to finally have it installed.

jon

8. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

all of those issues have been discussed on the tremol-no forum. allparts is now (apperently) including the allen wrenches. the crimps for some reason are just not cost effective (cost way more than they should), and if you go to the forum, kevan will help you get the action smoothed out!

9. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh, OK. Never been there. I'll check it out. Thanks.

jon

10. Kevan

Kevan Member

Thanks Fuzz. Jon and I are old buddies at this point. :) His critique is greatly appreciated.

Jon- I'm extatic to hear that you're having a good time with your Tremol-No! I'm sure you'll put it to good use.
    I am going to post some stuff here just as a heads-up to others reading this, but I'm gonna quote your post if that's okay.

This is by far the hardest part of the installation. The tolerances on the T-No are very tight, so you don't have a lot of room to mess around. The little tweaking necesary to go from "feels alright" to "dead-on perfect" is tough on your patience. You need to do TINY, TINY turns of the claw screws to get it right. Sometimes it takes 2 minutes; sometimes it's 20. It can be done though. And once it's done, you don't have to mess with it ever again.

Units began to ship with 1.5mm and 2mm allen wrenches last week. Here's the link for more information about that:http://www.tremol-no.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23
    I thought most folks already had wrenches. Oh well.

Yeah, as Fuzz said, it's a cost issue thing. Here's the thread about it: http://www.tremol-no.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2
    Like I said in there, we're still looking for terminals that are priced normally. Until then, there's HomeDepot. :)

I've gotten this a couple of times in the past few weeks. The other side of the coin is that if I simplify the instructions, I'll get "the instructions weren't clear enough". :D There's no winning this one.
    I'm thinking of adding a few pictures to the instructions. I'm sure that will help a little. Please feel free to toss any suggestions on down.

It's great to hear that so many are enjoying the Tremol-No. I'm going to continue to make this the best trem locking device ever made. Input from players in the 'real world' will really help with that.

Thanks again everyone!

11. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Thanks Kevan!

Can't wait to get my paws on it! Will take a group T-no Singapore Users picture for ya!

12. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i think pictures would help for the instalation instructions.

13. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

You know I love mine for the Floyded Hamer.

Now I'll end up with one in a Huber, one on an Ernie Ball, and another on a Hamer.

Great job, Kevan!

14. ctoddrun

ctoddrun Member

15. Kevan

Kevan Member

Todd- I've not had any issues with the units that have been tested in PRS guitars. In fact, one test unit is in a fairly coveted PRS- the "Bats" guitar that was built for Paul Allender:
    http://www.tremol-no.com/images/endorseepics/cofPaul1a.jpg
    Paul has a 2nd unit in his backup PRS as well. Aside from the ground wire being really short, it installed perfectly with no issues.

Another one of my testers, Norm Hammer, installed the T-No in his beautiful Custom22. Again, no issues.

After reading that thread, it sounds like you're afraid you really screwed something up on your guitar. I can understand that, but you should relax a little. If you removed the T-No (and made no other changes to the guitar), just put your original claw back on and adjust the claw screws until you're back at your desired action.

In the instructions, I explain that folks should use a piece of masking tape to mark where the front of their original claw is. This helps them when initially installing the Tremol-No claw, so they can get the same tension/feel on the trem, and subsequently, the same action on the strings. If it's not dead-on after the springs are put back on, it's really damn close. Small adjustments to the claw screws will get them back where they were.

If you *really* want to take it to a tech for them just to put a claw back in, check out Ron Pace. He's in the Houston area and does great work. I'm sure he can get you back to 'factory spec'.

16. nocluejimbo

nocluejimbo Member

Todd, have you tried the method suggested by LowEndGenerator in the BaM thread? I would imagine that the spring opposite of the Tremol-No is the culprit of all your problems. I have always seen it installed with three springs, and with some tightening of the claw you can compensate for the removal of tension.

17. Kevan

Kevan Member

Todd- I went back and re-read the thread over at BAM. I have a couple of questions for ya:

1. How many springs were you running before installing the T-No?
    2. If it was less than 5, what was the configuration?

If you changed the amount of springs, you will need to adjust the claw accordingly to get your action where you had it originally. You'd have to do that with a regular claw too.

And to answer the GeorgeJohnson & LowEndGenerator question from that link: "Why didn't Tremol-No make this so that it replaced the middle spring?
    Because the Tremol-No doesn't REPLACE any springs. :)

If your Tremol-No set screws are unlocked, and you have matching length springs, the pull should be even across the tremolo block.
    YES- there are different length (and different tension) trem springs out there. Make sure yours all match.

18. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Our order has touched down in Singapore!

Gonna collect them tomorrow, can't wait... :)

Thanks Kevan and Brian!

19. Kevan

Kevan Member

You're very welcome!
    If you can, get a group pic with as many guys as possible.
    And get one of Chris Chen with 'bunny ears'. :)

Have fun!

20. ctoddrun

ctoddrun Member

Hey Jimbo,

I did try that LEG idea about pulling a spring last night. Still no luck.

After about an hour of tweaking back and forth (tighten claw, tune, measure, rinse, repeat) I finally gave up on it.

As I've mentioned on the BaM thread, I never took a measurement prior to installing the guitar (measure the trem height on the face of the guitar). After last nights procedure I did go ahead and measure the front of the trem (where it meets the pivot screws) and found the treble side to be about 1/32" higher than the bass side. I cant say for certain, but I believe it came that way from the factory.

It explains why I cant get the even 1/16" measurement on the rear of the trem (face of guitar/farthest away from headstock).

But I still, for the life of me, cant figure out why I'm buzzing now and wasnt before.

Four springs. The only spring/claw opening that was missing was the middle one.

Agreed. After I adjusted for three springs last night, I tried it out for a bit, even after it was apparent that the buzzing was still there. That "looser" bar felt pretty Brad-Gillis-ish ;) , but I'm not sure I want to be able to wiggle the bar that easily. Hell, resting my palm on the bridge would cause it to go sharp.

I think four springs is the way I'd prefer to go on that.

I fully realize I'm not a guitar tech. So the problem may be made worse each time I tweak on the thing. One thing is for sure, I no longer can get my low E string to raise to an F# by pulling up on the trem, so that speaks volumes about the set up.

I'll give Ron a shout. I had him put together the main components of a Warmoth project several years back.