Tremolo and Chorus suggestions

natmiss

Silver Supporting Member
I'm contemplating adding tremolo and chorus pedals to my board and was hoping for some recommendations from the fine folks on TGP. Requirements for me would be analog, true bypass, not mini. Chorus should be able to be very subtle. Tremolo should be Fender type. I don't need a lot of options on the pedal.

Fatty McAtty

What waveform do Fender tremolos usually have?

The TC Electronic SCF can do a nice subtle chorus - one of the few chorus's I like. The Voodoo Lab chorus was another I really liked - very warm & rich without the thin & wimpy sounds from other chorus pedals (I have an old Arion chorus that's super thin - instant '80s. I can't stand it).

GA20T

My tops are:

PastFX Ensemble with true bypass mod
Source Audio Vertigo. Doesn't qualify as analog, but it doesn't matter, has all three Fender tremolo types and I like it way better than my Supa-Trem and other analogs I've owned.

Barnzy

I remember Throbby by Basic Audio as being pretty outstanding when I tried it in a tour box. I have a Supro Tremolo and it is an amazing “two in one” pedal because of the bias and harmonic tremolo types represented in one box.

Chorus is so individual because some like warbly and others like slight movement. I second the BOSS CE-5 analog because that is what I have used 90% of the time I choose a chorus. I believe BOSS gets chorus right more than all others. But the cheap, classic EHX small Clone is a really cool different take than BOSS if you like a different flavour.

So many chorus options! Tremolo less so.

skydog

Silver Supporting Member
I had a BBE MindBender for chorus/vibrato. Excellent pedal, I just didn’t need it anymore. I really like the tremolo from a Flint!

El Phaco

What waveform do Fender tremolos usually have?
Blackfaces with optical trem are triangle. Bias trem like a Princeton Reverb is sine.

OP, if you don't need lots of options, I'd suggest the Hotone Trem. Sounds really good while being small and cheap.

Last edited:

fiveightandten

Silver Supporting Member
Source Audio Vertigo has any Trem sound you’d want and has a chorus sound as well. The Chorus is an after thought and not great, but if you’re looking for a nice trem and an occasional Chorus, it could fit the bill.

You’d set the tones up on presets. Just flip the preset switch to select them.

Huffy

1657141913027.png

David M.

Silver Supporting Member
Unless you want to use both the Tremolo and Chorus together, I would suggest a Multi-Modulation pedal.

UA Astra, Alexander Wavelength, Walrus Audio M1 or Keeley Teraform are just some of the great to good multi modulation pedals out there. Then you can taste all the other Algorithms too.

NoiseNinja

Just a tip:

Set right a tremolo stacked into a chorus sounds amazing, gives kind of sort of somewhat of an harmonic tremolo like effect, but with a more pronounced modulation to it, and obviously the modulation happening being time/pitch based rather than phase based.

Last edited:
I'm contemplating adding tremolo and chorus pedals to my board and was hoping for some recommendations from the fine folks on TGP. Requirements for me would be analog, true bypass, not mini. Chorus should be able to be very subtle. Tremolo should be Fender type. I don't need a lot of options on the pedal.
I have the two:
1. EHX Nano Pulsar - all analog stereo tremolo

2. Drunk Beaver Jelly Fish - all analog MN3007 BBD chorus

El Phaco

Requirements for me would be analog, true bypass, not mini. Tremolo should be Fender type. I don't need a lot of options on the pedal.
Sorry, I've missed the "not mini" part... Hotone Trem is mini. That said, because you can stick them on a single Pedaltrain row and their weight, I find them way more stable on a board than Mooer/Donner ones. It ticks all your boxes otherwise.

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
PastFX CE (edgier 70’s)
Boss CE2 Waza (darker)

Fulltone SupaTrem JR although I have been using my Joyo Trem lately

Top Bottom