Tremolo Before Dirt

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Melldo, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Melldo

Melldo Member

Im awaiting my new EHX Super Pulsar to arrive and noticed on King Of Gear that Johnny Greenwood's Tremulater is always before his dirt pedals in his chain. I've never tried that before as I was always led to believe that tremolo should be last in the chain. Anyone else run their pedals that way? If so is it a great improvement to having it later on in the proceedings?

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Having a tremolo in front of dirt would make the valleys less deep (since the inherent compression of distortion means there will be less change in the actual volume), which can add some interesting movement to the sound. Personally, I prefer to have it last, but there's no law against experimenting (thankfully).

3. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I've heard of people doing this. The result is that the tremolo ramps the saturation up and down in addition to, or instead of, ramping the volume up and down. You should try it to see what you think. :)

4. JesterR

JesterR Member

Just like with any other modulation. Less noticed, more organic.

5. Melldo

Melldo Member

Cool, thanks for the info chaps. It should be here this week so I will have a wee experiment with it earlier in the chain and see how it sounds.