Tremolo block stop - felt pad?

LucasVidler

I want to deck my strat tremolo with a block stop. However, I've read that the ones with either a hard stop screw or spring loaded tend to clunk when the tremolo returns to the zero position. So, I was thinking of installing an angle bracket with a felt pad instead of the adjustment screw.

Has anyone tried something like this?

McMaster-Carr sells industrial felt in various firmnesses and thicknesses. I'm just not sure if it will be possible to find a balance between soft enough not to clunk but firm enough to provide solid tuning stability?

Last edited:

Dan40

Silver Supporting Member
IIRC, many of the aftermarket trem stop devices use a bit of felt for cushioning between the stop and the block. Whatever type of device you choose to install should have some room for adjustment in either direction so you can get the block into the perfect spot.

Tony Done

Interesting problem. The trem block would vibrate with the strings, so I wonder how much string damping effect that would have?

GitGeek

Legendary Member
Silver Supporting Member
If I had the need to do something like that, cork might be a better material. You can buy it with a sticky back in different thicknesses.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
cork or felt would be too squishy and thus imprecise for my tastes, i don't want my "blocked" trems still varying in pitch when i push on them

i like hard wood for this job; you get a positive stop in travel but no unpleasant metal-on-metal "clunk".
I want to deck my strat tremolo with a block stop.
what kind of strat exactly? if it's a fender you could probably just deck it on the body and not need to bother with any additional stuff under the hood

LucasVidler

I place a piece of vinyl tubing over the adjustable set screw to absorb the shock. It's barely longer than the screw so the trem block ends up solidly against the screw after being absorbed by the vinyl tubing.
I like your idea of cushioning before making solid contact!

I might try this with an added adjustment nut to dial in how much the tubing overhangs the screw. Also, replacing the screw with one that has a nylon tip for a slightly softer final landing could help.

phil b

I just did this with all my blocked trems. My daughter had this material from one of her toys..{think colorforms but stronger/thicker}. It totally stops the clunk and solid enough to not have any play in tuning stability. If you do find whatever your using is having tuning issues another thing is to crank on the spring screws. May change the feel of the trem, but that will definitely help.

Another option that works well is those felt furniture pads. Nice and strong with no play.

LucasVidler

what kind of strat exactly? if it's a fender you could probably just deck it on the body and not need to bother with any additional stuff under the hood
It's an American Pro II with the two-point pivot. I don't really like how the bridge and/or saddles are arranged when it's decked on the body. A block stop would allow me to keep the bridge plate up higher and parallel to the body and the saddles set lower.

ChickenLover

Silver Supporting Member
I use adhesive-backed felt and it works great. No issues with it not returning to pitch consistently, I've checked it with my strobe tuner. And I use it even if it is metal-on-wood. There is still a big clunk if you release it fast and some techniques require a quick release.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't really like how the bridge and/or saddles are arranged when it's decked on the body.
is the micro tilt in the neck pocket engaged?

usually you can back that out, seat the neck flat in the pocket, then deck the bridge without having the saddles too tall

Trending Topics