Tremolo: Diamond, Empress, Catalinbread--what's your fave?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brewbaker, Feb 26, 2012.

1. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

I'm sure they're all impressive but wondering what players who've used one or all think is the deciding difference, particularly since they all cost the same. I'm only considering tremolo pedals with tap feature.

2. lareplus

lareplus Member

I like the tremolo in the Holy Stain. . .it has a little bit of verb in it. .

3. cheameup

cheameup Member

I just did the same comaprision. I didnt play them all but listened to every video of each I could get my hands on multiple times.

I always slightly favoured the sound of the empress in every video I watched so I eneded up going for it. Had it a week now and every second with it I feel I made the right choice for my rig .

The only gripe with the empress is I would rather the tap division pot was a notched one at the main settings . but that is super minor nit picking

4. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I tried pretty much all of them and the Empress and Diamond were VERY close, but in the end I liked the slight warmth of the Diamond better and it has been workhorse on my board for over a year.

5. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I've owned all three. Diamond FTW.

6. good soil digital

good soil digital Member

just picked up a dr. scientist after nearly pulling the trigger on a diamond multiple times. so far I'm really happy with it as I realized I'd probably never use the tap tempo for a tremolo and I really like the hold feature of the dr. scientist and the stereo features.

7. macki

macki Member

I have used both the Empress and Diamond - for me I like the Diamond more.

Specifically;

- you can tap or use the speed dial to set the trem speed without having to switch to a specific mode (really nice feature IMHO). Whereas the Empress you need to toggle between the tap or rate mode.

- I really like the Tap/Dbl switch. Its not your standard stomp switch - its a relay based type (Empress uses them I think on their phaser?). You don't get a loud pop when using the switch. If I remember correctly, the Empress has a bit of quirk in that if you tap in a rate and want to double it you can have to change the rate knob to 1:2 and retap

- they both have two speed mode but the Empress is a bit clumsy. You set the two trem rates that you want to change between, but you can't set how fast the trem takes to get there. In general, I wanted them to jump"almost" instantaneously. The Diamond is nice in that you just hold down the Tap/Dbl switch and you double the speed. Note you can't pick each speed like the Empress - it just doubles the speed.

- both the Empress and Diamond trem sounds are awesome. The Diamond gives you one more waveform (a hard stutter) + the visual of how you can tell what waveform you are in is nice - its the color of the LED

- I prefer the features on the Diamond - the "M" mode is really handy to use (you can even use it as a really good stutter effect). Even "C" (chaos) is very unique and musical. They both have rhythmic modes - the Empress has more - but I found I did not use them that much. For me they worked if you were holding a long note or chord but after that it was a bit hard to hear the rhythm.

Not really knocking the Empress (they are my fav pedal company!). I don't think you could go wrong with either pedal but the Diamond suites me a bit better.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  8. 100JH

100JH Member

9. rayza

rayza Member

Im pretty happy with my cusack right now, but if i bought again it would be diamond.

10. zztop

zztop Member

I've played all the three. Diamond win.

11. empressTIM

empressTIM Member

I played Empress, Diamond, and Cusack head to head at GC. Empress, no question. After I get my dirt sound down, it's the next item on my list.

12. theroan

theroan Member

13. schecterc1lh

schecterc1lh Member

agreed!

14. tander04

tander04 Member

i just got a semaphore and i really like it so far

15. Entropy

Entropy Member

16. warren3333

warren3333 Gold Supporting Member

For me, the best warmest just most natural tremolo ive tried is the Fulltone Supatrem...

Glorious sound and feel...BUT, i need tap tempo in a church/worship setting.

Very very reluctant to let this go though...

17. MiguelO

MiguelO Member

I got the Empress. No complaints but I'm not a huge tremolo user. If I was I would conisder the Semaphore. The demos seem to show that it has more options... But for the amount of tremolo I do use in a set, the Empress works great. Plus I honestly think tap tempo for tremolo is pretty necessary for the music I play (we all play to a click track).

18. Richard P

Richard P Member

I've owned the Fulltone, the Demeter, the Semaphore, and the Diamond (just to mention the optical trems). I like the Young Pedals The Looker best so far. The most transparent, pretty quiet, wonderful wave shapes, nice tap tempoÂ…and stereo to boot.

19. empressTIM

empressTIM Member

brewbaker, this always happens in threads like this...the best advice I can give is order all three from Proguitarshop and return the two that don't work for you. It's too subjective otherwise.